Academic Success Coach - 12855BR
Academic Success Coach
This position will work closely with KU Edwards Student Services, Marketing and Community Engagement to provide service to students while working to meet the expectations of effective student coaching for retention and completion.
This position will specifically work with students from the Master of Social Welfare and Bachelor of Social Welfare programs.
Working hours for this position are 9 am to 6 pm Monday through Thursday, 8am – 5pm Friday. Campus operating hours are 8am – 7pm Mon-Thurs and 8am – 5pm on Fridays. The work schedule for this position will coincide with student needs and traffic at the KU Edwards Campus, including working some evening/weekend hours. This position will require travel to KC metro community colleges as well as other 4-year institutions to recruit for the BSW and MSW programs.
The KU Edwards Campus is located in Overland Park, Kansas. http://edwardscampus.ku.edu/. In a continuing effort to enrich the university and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, the university actively encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Prospective Student Coaching reflects the dynamic communication, outreach, and strategic support this position will provide to new program inquiries seeking career, academic program, and admissions guidance and information.
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of academic program outcomes, and use new student conversations to ensure appropriate student-to-program matches or make appropriate program referrals.
- Work one-on-one with prospective graduate, transfer, and readmit students on admission processes, enrollment steps, and degree planning while students prepare for admission to KU.
- Provide unofficial transcript evaluation and coaching to guide students with enrollment planning prior to attending KU as well as dual-enrollment planning when applicable. Works collaboratively with KU admissions and Graduate Studies on admission and transfer credit processes.
- Manage student records on KU student information systems and database/CRM systems.
- Develop and maintain a strategic inquiry conversion and admitted student communication plan for academic program(s) driven by department strategic enrollment goals with support from KU Edwards Marketing and in consultation with the academic unit.
- Execute a variety of inquiry-to-applicant conversion and strategic outreach events, including information sessions, community presentations, classroom visits, and industry events in the KC metro area with support from the KU Edwards External Relations team as part of the strategic enrollment plan for the program.
- Participate in KU Edwards New Student Orientation and other pre-/post-orientation efforts and assist with School of Social Welfare Orientations including the BSW Orientation to the Program, Advanced Standing MSW Orientation, and Regular MSW Orientation.
- Represent program interests in Greater Kansas City-area workforce and educational access initiatives upon request.
Retention Coaching reflects the long-term commitment this position has to provide continuous support to students to reach progressive milestones for personal and academic success through the point of completion.
- Provide comprehensive and seamless success coaching for current students for the School of Social Welfare BSW and MSW programs.
- Be familiar with and adhere to School of Social Welfare policies and procedures for Student Advancement.
- Guide student progress through academic milestones, including enrollment, career exploration and graduation.
- Facilitate student enrollment and approval processes including those for KU, the School of Social Welfare, and KUEC including items such as petitions, enrollment changes, appeals, and applications for graduation in compliance with appropriate deadlines and approval channels; manage student records in KU student information and tracking systems; provide appropriate referrals to University offices and Student Services at KU Edwards.
- Adhere to KU Admissions, Registrar, Financial Aid and Payment policies.
- Regularly meet with the Academic Program Director(s) regarding advising and program content.
- Coordinate program-specific learning opportunities relevant to the program’s student population that meet the KUEC Student Hallmarks.
- Provide Academic Program Director(s) with analysis on student progress, enrollment, and graduation as well as class scheduling dynamics. Assist Academic Program Director in preparation for annual review.
- Provide degree-specific context and guidance to program leadership for communication, collaboration, and strategic planning.
- Attend relevant program/academic unit meetings at KUEC or KU Lawrence.
- Participate in KUEC department and campus meetings and trainings.
- Participate in KU Edwards Campus and University related committees related to the retention and graduation of KU students.
- Participate in relevant professional development annually.
- Master’s or Bachelor's degree with three years’ experience in academic advising, coaching, admissions or student success in an institution of higher education.
- One year of experience in student admissions or recruitment at an institution of higher education.
- Demonstrated experience with transcript evaluation and/or student application process coaching.
- Effective written communication skills as evidenced by application materials.
- Master's degree in Higher Education, Student Personnel, Counseling, Advising, Social Welfare or related field.
- Demonstrated experience working with adult, transfer, or online students in a higher education setting.
- Online student coaching.
- Previous experience with PeopleSoft or related student information systems.
- Previous experience with CRM (constituent/customer relationship management) systems.
- Demonstrated work experience with student records and compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Demonstrated skills in inter-institutional collaborative projects or relationship development.
- Demonstrated understanding of the profession of social work.
Additional Candidate Instructions
A cover letter addressing how required qualifications are met.
3 Professional References
Incomplete applications will not be considered. To ensure consideration apply before the review date.
Application review date begins September 24th, 2018, but will remain open until October 1st, 2018.