Academic Tutor/Mentor - 12911BR
Hours will vary based upon need, but up to 5 hours per week, after school/work hours. Some weekends will be required.
- Provide tutorial assistance in specific area of expertise, e.g. English, grammar, basic math, or higher math;
- Provides pre - and post-test to assess students’ academic performance levels and to
- determine their learning styles;
- Under the Advisors or Program Directors supervision, implements tutoring that meets the students’ learning needs;
- Maintain student records indicating subjects tutored, number of meetings, and level of improvement at the end of tutorial sessions;
- Consult with Program Director when tutors believe the students would benefit from additional counseling or testing;
- Refer problems to Program Director or/advisor;
- Participates in staff development training activities.
- Complete online time sheets as directed by Supervisor
- At least two semesters of earned college credit
- Experience with communicating effectively with diverse populations
- Prior knowledge or experience in tutoring diverse populations
- Current college student
- Experience with TRIO or GEAR UP programs
- Demonstrated sensitivity and experience working with students and/or individuals from diverse social, economic, academic, and cultural backgrounds
Additional Candidate Instructions
**Applicants must apply for this position through the KU job site**
Application review begins October 5, 2018. Application deadline is October 11, 2018.