Administrative Associate - 12892BR
KU Professional & Continuing Education, headquartered on the Edwards campus, operates in a self-supporting business environment while aligning with KU's academic, research and public service missions. With a staff of approximately 100 in three locations, 1000 education events are offered annually to more than 50,000 students. Professional & Continuing Education works collaboratively with all KU academic schools and departments to provide outreach programming. Professional & Continuing Education programs serve all 105 Kansas counties, 50 U.S. states, and 49 countries. Types of programs provided are research conferences, post graduate continuing education, professional certification, workforce and economic development, state and local government, law enforcement, and fire and rescue training.
The Kansas Fire & Rescue Training Institute is a unit of KU Professional and Continuing Education. Housed on the Lawrence campus, the Institute was created by the Kansas legislature to train Kansas firefighters in 1949. The Institute serves fire departments and firefighters through a “traveling instruction service” that provides 500 training events per year potentially reaching every community and every county in Kansas.
This position reports directly to the Institute’s Business Coordinator.
- Answering and resolving service inquiries with regards to registration, certification, and payment.
- Correctly answering questions regarding policies and procedures, particularly when these policies or procedures require anticipatory questioning to determine the fundamental issue and/or related issues.
- Researching questions or concerns when necessary.
- Escalation of the concerns to the appropriate person or office as needed, including transfers when appropriate.
- Thinking creatively and working with customers to solve problems and provide solutions to their needs.
- Uses critical, independent judgment in resolving diverse customer needs.
- Uses a web-based registration system to process national certification program registrations received via mail, web, fax, phone, email and in-person; applies payments and creates receipts or invoices.
- Understands and adheres to all Payment Card Industry Compliance protocol, tracks and maintains security of all received payments.
- Correctly follow and apply purchasing/payments policies as well as unit-based policies regarding payments, cancellations, and refunds.
- Understand and maintain confidentiality of student information.
- Understand the structure and processes of the Institute’s software, including the registration and testing systems, with the ability to anticipate outcomes of any action taken.
- Monitor for undesirable outcomes and provide feedback and proposals to solve issues.
- Actively work to keep the databases free of duplicate records using KUPCE approved processes.
- Accept, review and approve National Certification Exam applications.
- Review for and coordinate the correction of incorrect or incomplete exam documentation with instructors/evaluators and exam coordinators.
- Enter exam results into the Professional & Continuing Education registration system (Enrole) and issue National Certifications, when process is completed, to individual candidates. This process includes data generated from the electronic scoring of exams listed in the next section of this position description.
- This position is required to apply discretion to interpret and apply policies and procedures in the awarding credit and issuing certificates for training and national certification.
- Verify and process payment and travel reimbursement to instructors, evaluators and coordinators using existing policies and procedures.
- Perform the role of the first point of contact for contractual instructors, evaluators and coordinators on issues of pay, expense reimbursement and other communications as needed to maintain a well-informed cadre of evaluators and coordinators.
- Maintain records for compilation into reports and statistics.
- Prepare certification reports and initiate accreditation fees payment to accrediting entities.
30% Using appropriate computer software and scanners, grade and report on Certification exams.
- Score exam “bubble sheet” answer sheets using the Institute’s scanner and create appropriate files within the PAR Scan software for storage and other recordkeeping requirements.
- Record those results in the PCE registration system (Enrole or other designated system) as stated in the previous section of this position description.
- Create/prepare and mail individual Certification Exam Reports for certification candidates using the data produced by the PAR Score program (or other software provided).
- Create/prepare and mail Instructor Exam Reports for instructors of certification based courses. Instructor Exam Reports are designed to give instructors feedback on how their students performed on the national certification exam.
- Maintain appropriate combined statistical data generated from the scoring of exams as specified by the Certification Manager.
15% Cross-train on and perform duties in other program areas.
- Cross-train on performing the duties required to support all training programs within the Institute.
10% Assist with other program functions.
- Intake of requests for certification exam sites.
- Preparation of materials and resources for certification exams.
- Confirmation of test sites and test schedules to fire departments, candidates and evaluators.
- Preparation of materials for exams and researching costs of materials used in programs.
Administrative Associates are assigned tasks associated with the support of instructional program areas within the Institute. These areas are critical to the success of the Institute and the performance of its legislated mission. This position is responsible for assisting assigned Program Managers (typically 2-3 managers) in managing and delivering over 200 training courses and events serving over 3,000 participants annually. These tasks include, but are not limited to, training/event documentation, awarding credit for successful completion and completing the appropriate steps to get contract and part-time instructors paid and travel expenses reimbursed.
A high level of accuracy and timely completion of tasks is a critical component of this position. The Institute’s success in meeting its legislatively mandated mission is directly related to the collaboration of program staff. Success requires the ability to work independently and maintain a positive work relationship with the Program Mangers, Institute Staff, clients and contract instructors. Poor performance in this position is easily visible from outside the organization and creates negative perceptions with the Institute’s clients. High levels of responsibility, accountability and performance are expected of this position.
The Administrative Associate’s work is accomplished within a team structure including the Business Coordinator (supervisor), Program Managers and other Fire Institute staff. This position requires independent judgment while managing client relations within the framework of a large range of state, university, and Institute policies and procedures. In addition to state and university policies/procedures, this position requires application and interpretation of Institute policies derived from the state statute that created and drives the Institute’s mission (KSA 76-327).
A limited amount of in-state travel is required of this position. The purpose of this travel is to provide on-site support for conferences and short courses offered throughout Kansas. Anticipated travel requirements are estimated to be as few as 2 days and as many as 10 days per year.
This position interacts with the Kansas fire service on a daily basis. As a public service organization, the Institute is dedicated to helping our clients achieve their professional goals. Customer service and satisfaction are critical function of this position.
- High School diploma or G.E.D. equivalency and two years of office experience or two years of post-secondary education.
- One year of customer service experience.
- Excellent written communication skills as demonstrated by application materials.
- Three years of customer service experience.
- Demonstrated experience operating multiple software applications, including Outlook, Word, Excel and database programs.
- Experience working in a state or city governmental organization.
Additional Candidate Instructions
A cover letter addressing how required qualifications are met.
3 Professional References
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Application review will start September 24th and have a deadline for applications as September 27th, 2018.