ALC Tutor - Student Hourly - POOL - 17182BR
ALC Tutor - Student Hourly - POOL
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitate and foster student learning by:
- Engaging students in learning course/subject content.
- Suggesting appropriate study strategies to learn course/subject content.
- Empower students to take ownership for their own learning.
- Create an inclusive and safe environment for learning.
- Follow the guidelines for tutoring as established by Tutoring Services.
- Attend and participate in trainings and staff development.
- Facilitate group meetings using technology, including but not limited to Zoom, as needed.
- Prepare and upload preparation documents for each group meeting.
- Report student attendance following each group meeting.
- Communicate with and respond to updates from the Assistant Director, Academic Learning Center.
- Distribute student evaluations and complete a tutor reflection at the end of the semester.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Tutors work with students in small groups of 1-5 students that meet twice per week at set times between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. in assigned locations on the KU Lawrence campus or online via Zoom. For each tutor group, tutors must be available 1.5 hours twice a week. Other tutoring arrangements may be made through coordination with the Assistant Director, Academic Learning Center. All ALC tutors are required to attend the Tutor Orientation and Training prior to the start of the semester (if hired before the first day of classes), a midsemester tutor training, and the CRLA Certification Training early in the semester. Alternative arrangements are made for tutors hired after these trainings have occurred.
- If hired before the semester, attendance at Orientation and Training (O&T) on Tuesday, August 18, 2020 – Wednesday, August 19, 2020, and CRLA Certification Training (Date TBD). It is yet to be determined if these trainings will be online or in-person, however, attendance is required regardless.
- Earned a B or higher in the course(s) selected to tutor at KU within the last 4 years; or in a higher-level course in the same discipline as evidenced by the Degree Progress Report (DPR)
- Currently enrolled KU student in good academic standing and enrolled in at least six credit hours as evidenced by the DPR
- Minimum of 2.5 cumulative GPA as evidenced by the DPR
- Two faculty or instructor references, one of which can speak to your ability in the subject area in which you hope to tutor, should be submitted to Tutoring Services. More information about collecting these references can be found at http://tutoring.ku.edu/i-want-be-tutor-0
- Tutoring or teaching experience
- A strong desire and enthusiasm to help students learn
- Eligible for work study
Additional Candidate Instructions
- Cover letter (including answers to the following questions)
- Why do you want to be a Tutor for the Academic Learning Center?
- Are you currently enrolled in at least 6 credit hours this semester or pre-enrolled in 6 credit hours for the upcoming semester?
- Are you eligible for the Federal Work Study Program?
- What is your current academic major?
- What courses (or in what disciplines) would you like to tutor?
- Did you earn a B or higher in the course(s) that you would like to tutor, or in higher-level coursework in the same discipline?
- How did you hear about the ALC Tutor position?
- What is your work availability?
- Two completed Faculty/Instructor Reference Forms
- We highly recommend that applicants go and speak to their potential references in-person. Faculty/instructors are advised to submit the completed reference form to Tutoring Services by online submission at this link: https://kusurvey.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1ziwjzyN6DYrbYp. References may also be submitted through email attachment. Information about these references can be found at https://tutoring.ku.edu/become-tutor.