Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor in Latin Prose & Roman Culture - 9963BR
Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor in Latin Prose & Roman Culture
The Classics Department maintains an excellent undergraduate program and one of the top MA programs in the country, and enjoys close collaborative relationships with the University of Kansas departments of Theater and Film; Humanities and Western Civilization; Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies; History; History of Art; Religious Studies; Philosophy; and Jewish Studies. The successful candidate will hold an appointment in the Department of Classics and will teach across the Classics curriculum, including courses in Roman culture, undergraduate Latin at all levels, Latin prose composition, and graduate seminars in Latin on one or more major prose authors. Our new colleague will contribute fully to our thriving MA program.
The successful candidate for the position must be eligible to work in the U.S. prior to the start of the position.
- Research: (40%) Maintain and sustain an active and productive program of research in field of specialization. Tenure-line faculty members are expected to publish in peer-reviewed journals and to present findings at professional conferences.
- Teaching: (40%) Teach courses (2:2 teaching load) in graduate and undergraduate programs in the Classics department, including courses in M.A.-level Latin, and develop curriculum in the Classics Department. In addition, all faculty members are expected to advise and mentor graduate and undergraduate students in the department and to serve on graduate committees.
- Service: (20%) Service to the Department, the College, the University, and the profession of Classics exists in many forms from sitting on committees to directing programs.
For all ranks:
- PhD (or ABD status with the defense completed) in Classics or an allied discipline expected by the start date of the appointment.
- Demonstrated ability to teach Latin courses effectively at all levels.
- Research focus on Latin prose literature of the late Republic and/or early Empire.
- Evidence of engagement with Roman culture broadly conceived.
- Evidence of dedication to high-quality teaching and research.
The candidate must meet University criteria for a tenured appointment at the rank of Associate or Full Professor if hiring within these ranks. See http://policy.ku.edu/CLAS/promotion-tenure-classics for further information.
For appointment at the rank of Associate Professor with tenure: (1) an established independent programmatic line of research that includes a record of publication in peer-reviewed journals and external funding; (2) growth in teaching and mentoring that culminates in effective teaching and mentoring; (3) record of regular local and/or national service participation; (4) meet University criteria for tenured Associate Professor.
For appointment at the rank of Full Professor with tenure: (1) a nationally recognized program of research that includes a sustained record of publication and external funding; (2) established record of effective teaching and mentoring; (3) sustained record of local and national service contributions, including leadership roles; (4) meet University criteria for tenured Full Professor.