Assistant Professor and Center Co-Director - 15815BR
Assistant Professor and Center Co-Director
The CEAE Department currently has 28 tenured/tenure-track faculty, and three professors of practice, approximately 375 undergraduate students and 135 graduate students, with programs leading to bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees. The Craig & Diane Martin National Center for Construction Safety presents a unique opportunity to facilitate proactive safety management research and leadership. The Center’s objectives are as broad as the industry, incorporating perspectives from civil engineering, construction engineering and management, architectural engineering, psychology and cognitive science, sociology, computer science and engineering, information technology, architecture and design, and related disciplines.
Our undergraduate student body has grown by 63% in the last five years, and our Ph.D. student body has grown by 45% in the last 6 years. The KU School of Engineering (SOE) and the CEAE Department strongly value Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. We seek candidates who can contribute to fostering an inclusive culture. The KU SOE is one of only 29 universities to achieve the exemplar, inaugural ASEE Diversity Recognition Award https://diversityrecognition.asee.org/award-recipients/. In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, the university actively encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups in higher education. All qualified (including international) candidates are encouraged to apply. The successful candidate must be eligible to work in the U.S. prior to the start date for the position.
KU is a comprehensive educational and research-intensive AAU institution that operates through a diverse, multi-campus system, with 28,500 students and 2,800 faculty members. Opened in 1866, KU’s main campus is considered one of the most beautiful in the nation, occupying 1,000 acres on Mount Oread in Lawrence, a thriving city of 95,000, located 30 minutes west of Kansas City in the forested hills of eastern Kansas.
Participate in mentoring of undergraduate and graduate students, advise graduate students including chairing doctoral dissertation committees. Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in construction engineering.
Engage in scholarly research, including applying for external funding, presenting at professional conferences, publishing in peer-review journals, and if possible, developing intellectual property.
Provide overall administrative management of the Center and general external and internal service to KU. Engage in professional service, including participating in state and national boards and committees related to Center activities. Plan, implement, and supervise Center activities.
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering or closely related field of engineering with specialization in construction engineering and management by date of appointment.
- Demonstrable research qualifications in construction safety.
- Evidence of ability to teach courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Demonstrated ability to relate and communicate effectively in the context of the research area of the candidate.
- Ability to apply for a professional engineer (P.E.) at a future date.
- Experience in managing commercial, industrial, or infrastructure construction projects.
- Licensed as a P.E. in the United States.
Additional Candidate Instructions
- Cover letter (Candidates should address, in their cover letter, how they plan to promote the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion);
- Curriculum vitae;
- Contact information for at least three references, including name, mailing address, email address, and phone number;
- One-page research statement;
- One-page teaching statement.
- Please describe your experience, approach or methodologies to create and implement inclusive teaching and advising practices, pedagogical techniques and/or course materials to create an inclusive classroom environment.
- In your current and/or previous role, please provide an example outlining how you demonstrate your ongoing commitment in working with diverse groups/populations.