Assistant Professor Industrial Design - 10089BR
Assistant Professor Industrial Design
Opened in 1866, the University of Kansas is a comprehensive educational and research institution with 29,272 students and more than 2,100 faculty members. KU’s main Lawrence campus is approximately 40 miles west of Kansas City, Missouri home to vital cultural and business communities with an array of nationally recognized visual and preforming arts venues. The Department of Design offers undergraduate areas of study in Industrial Design, Illustration and Animation, Photography and Visual Communication. Additionally, KU offers two MA degrees in Interaction Design and Design Management. The School of Architecture and Design has extensive studio and lab facilities, including a 65,000 maker space.
The preferred candidate has experience in the following areas:
- Superior computer Modeling skills in SolidWorks
- Strong skills in Adobe Suite, especially Photoshop and Illustrator
- Strong sketching/ ideation skills
- Knowledge of professional and production practices
- Record of innovative product development
- Full-time teaching experience at the college level
The University of Kansas is especially interested in hiring faculty members who can contribute to the climate of diversity in the School of Architecture and Design including a diversity of scholarly approaches, and four key campus-wide strategic initiatives: (1) Sustaining the Planet, Powering the World; (2) Promoting Well-Being, Finding Cures; (3) Building Communities, Expanding Opportunities; and (4) Harnessing Information, Multiplying Knowledge. For more information, see http://www.provost.ku.edu/strategic-plan/initiatives. Women, minorities, and candidates who will contribute to the climate of diversity in the School of Architecture and Design, including diversity of scholarly artistic approaches are especially encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate for the position must be eligible to work in the U.S. prior to the start of the position.
Preparation and delivery of undergraduate courses, curricular advising, career advising/mentoring.
40% - Professional Practice and Scholarly Research
20% - Service and Outreach
Departmental, School and University committees and community engagement.
- MFA or equivalent degree.
- 3+ year’s professional experience in Product Design (Consumer Products, Sports Equipment, Footwear, Softgoods, etc.).
Additional Candidate Instructions
Interested applicants should apply online at https://employment.ku.edu/academic/10089BR
Applicants must submit:
1) Cover Letter: addressing qualifications
2) Current Resume/CV
3) Three References. Include name, job title, email address and phone number for each reference. References should be qualified to evaluate your professional experiences and achievements.
In addition, applicants will need to upload the following materials to SlideRoom (https://kudesign.slideroom.com/#/permalink/program/39464)
SlideRoom will as you to submit each as separate pdfs...
1) Cover Letter
2) Current Resume/CV
3) Three References. Please include the three references in one pdf. Include name, job title, email address and phone number for each reference. References should be qualified to evaluate your professional experiences and achievements.
4) Research Statement
Examples of Creative work.(required)
Upload at 15 - 20 examples of your creative research. SlideRoom will accept Images (up to 10MB each; Video (up to 500MB each): External media from YouTube and Vimeo
Teaching Materials. (optional)
If you have teaching experience. Please create one pdf containing the following... Sample Syllabus; List of courses taught; 10–20 examples of student work.
Optional Materials (optional)
URL to your a website of your creative work