Associate Researcher - 12878BR
This position is available beginning January 1, 2019. Base appointment is 12 months. Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The successful candidate will possess excellent experimental and analytical skills, strong oral and written communication abilities as well as be able to work in a hands-on, collaborative, energetic environment.
CPE DEPARTMENT (www.cpe.engr.ku.edu): The Department offers B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in chemical and petroleum engineering. The Department has a proud tradition of commitment to both undergraduate and graduate education. The department has experienced remarkable growth in recent years and presently has 28 faculty members, approximately 650 undergraduate students and 60 graduate students. The diversity of funded research areas includes catalysis and reactor engineering, fluid phase equilibria, alternative fuels, supercritical fluid applications, improved oil recovery processes, energy storage devices, advanced computational techniques in chemical and petroleum engineering, bioengineering research, such as tissue and protein engineering, process intensification, and controlled-release formulation development. Current annual research expenditures are in the region of $4M.
These duties include carrying out original research relative to the laboratory mission. Perform experiments on an individual basis that pertain to current research topics in the department.
- Analyze proprietary samples using analytical techniques including but not limited: to GC-MS, gas adsorption (e.g. BET), SEM, TEM, optical microscopy, dynamic light scattering, low-field NMR, gravimetric microbalances (Hiden IGA, XEMIS, IGASorp) and high-pressure calorimeter
- Design and construct new laboratory reactor systems with a specific focus on packed bed reactors and new thermodynamic VLE and LLE measurement equipment
- Set up and operate high and low-pressure stirred reaction systems and separations equipment such as pressure swing adsorption apparatus
Writes technical reports and scientific papers for peer reviewed journals. Additional responsibilities include assisting in the preparation of preparation of grants/contracts and proposals for federal, state and charitable organizations and industrial clients.
- Present oral and written technical results to industry partners to convey scientific progress
- Assist in writing grant proposals to achieve funding goals for future research
Assist the principal investigator(s) to provide experimental and technical supervision of one or more technician, graduate student and/or post-doctoral researchers and/or fellows.
- Train new graduate students and research personnel on experimental methods
- Mentor and train undergraduate students conducting research projects in the fields of reaction engineering, thermodynamics, and separations
Ensuring systems are in place for efficient planning of lab supplies, records and document management as well as experimental protocols and data, and coordination of good lab practices and lab safety.
- Manage laboratory operations (interactions with Facilities and third-party contractors, safety and other compliance systems, sourcing and vendor installation / maintenance)
- Develop standard operating procedures and safety protocols for laboratory
- Earned PhD degree in chemical engineering or a closely related field.
- Demonstrated experience in areas mentioned in the “Job Description” section, as either part of the PhD dissertation or evidenced by research publications and patents.
- Provide evidence of the ability to lead a research team composed of post-doctoral researchers, graduate students and undergraduate researchers.
- Proven record of R&D leadership in areas mentioned in the “Job Description” section in a multidisciplinary setting, either in academia or industry.
- Demonstrated record of innovations based on publications, patents and/or technology commercialization activities.
- Provide evidence of the ability to write research proposals.
Additional Candidate Instructions
- Application review begins on October 1, 2018 and will be ongoing until a candidate has been identified.
- To ensure priority consideration, submit application material by midnight on the night of 9/30/2018.