Boiler Operator Senior - 12927BR
Boiler Operator Senior
In addition to a competitive salary, KU offers great benefits to employees with up to 176 hours of paid vacation per year, 72 hours of sick leave earned per year, nine paid holidays plus one discretionary day, a retirement program, medical & dental insurance, life and disability insurance, other benefit plan options and State of Kansas discounts offered by various vendors. KU also offers employees educational and professional development opportunities.
KU is a great place to work!
30% - Piping Systems: Fabricates, assembles, installs and maintains piping systems, valves and equipment for boilers, pumps, steam, condensate, feed-water, cooling water, pneumatics and lubricating systems in accordance with National Plumbing, ASTM and ASTE Codes, on the basis of knowledge of piping and specific power plant operations. Selects materials specified in blueprints, technical manuals, schematics and drawings and plans the sequence of installation or repair, using appropriate pipe cutters, threaders and fittings, joins piping by means of flanging, threading, soldering or fusing.
20% - Equipment Maintenance: Repairs, replaces, installs, repacks, cleans and lubricates filters, piping systems, valves, pumps, heat exchangers, air compressors and auxiliary equipment within the Power Plant. Performs pump, air compressor and valve overhaul in accordance with the manufacturer's technical manual specifications. Performs necessary repairs on boiler refractory and prepares boilers for inspection. Maintains, repairs and calibrates Power Plant pneumatic components and systems ensuring proper boiler combustion, fuel economy, stack emissions, boiler water levels, steam quality and demands. Performs general cleanliness tasks to keep Power Plant and equipment clean and in compliance with the National Fire and Safety Codes.
15% - Related Duties: Assists supervisor in orientation and training of other Boiler Operators. Develops preventive maintenance repair and training schedules. Orders parts, chemicals and supplies as needed for operation, safety, maintenance or repair and reports needs to the supervisor. May perform duties of supervisor in his/her absence as required by shift rotation. Performs other related work as assigned. May assist with snow removal and surface treatment.
5% - Performs other related work as assigned.
- Must have a valid driver’s license at time of hire.
- High school diploma or completion of G.E.D. equivalency.
- Three years of experience in steam generation and/or boiler work. Associate’s degree or vocational school certification may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
- Work in extreme temperatures, both hot and cold
- Exposure to constant loud noise
- Work in confined spaces
- Reach, grasp, lift, carry, and place moderately heavy loads frequently, and heavy loads up to 50 pounds occasionally with or without accommodation.
- Work overtime as needed
- Respond to after-hours emergencies as needed
- Report to work during declared periods of inclement weather
- Knowledge of mechanical systems (e.g. pumps, valve repair, air compressors, water softeners, steam and condensate system design).
- Knowledge of water chemistry.
- Knowledge of computer control systems, which operate and monitor boilers.