Boiler Operator - 11880BR
In addition to a competitive salary, KU offers great benefits to employees with up to 176 hours of paid vacation per year, 72 hours of sick leave earned per year, nine paid holidays plus one discretionary day, a retirement program, medical & dental insurance, life and disability insurance, other benefit plan options and State of Kansas discounts offered by various vendors. KU also offers employees educational and professional development opportunities.
KU is a great place to work!
30% - Piping Systems: Assists in Fabrication, assembling, installation and maintaining piping systems, valves and equipment for boilers, pumps, steam, condensate, feed-water, cooling water, pneumatics and lubricating systems in accordance with National Plumbing, ASTM and ASTE Codes, on the basis of knowledge of piping and specific power plant operations. Selects materials specified in blueprints, technical manuals, schematics and drawings and plans the sequence of installation or repair, using appropriate pipe cutters, threaders and fittings, joins piping by means of flanging, threading, soldering or fusing.
25% - Equipment Maintenance: Assists in the cleaning, replacement, installation, lubrication and repacking of filters, pipes, pumps, valves, heat exchangers and auxiliary equipment in order to maintain the power plant in good operating condition and to make emergency repairs on boilers and to prepare boilers for inspection. Assists Boiler Operator Seniors in overhauling pumps on steam generating and heating equipment by replacing defective bearings, seals, packing, shafts and other pump parts. Performs routine cleanliness tasks to keep power plant and equipment in compliance with national fire and safety codes.
10% - Related Duties: Assists Boiler Operator Seniors in correcting problems in the case of water breaks, steam distribution irregularity or problems with electrical feeders until boilers, feed lines, etc. and ensures lines are stable. May assist with snow removal and surface treatment.
5% - Performs other related work as assigned.
- Must have a valid driver’s license at time of hire.
- High school diploma or completion of G.E.D. equivalency.
- One year of experience in steam generation and/or boiler work. Associate’s degree or vocational school certification may be substituted for the required experience.
- Work in extreme temperatures, both hot and cold
- Exposure to constant loud noise
- Work in confined spaces
- Reach, grasp, lift, carry, and place moderately heavy loads frequently, and heavy loads up to 50 pounds occasionally with or without accommodation.
- Work overtime as needed
- Respond to after-hours emergencies as needed
- Report to work during declared periods of inclement weather
- Knowledge and experience in the theory and mechanics of boiler operation and steam generation.
- Ability to use equipment manuals, read measuring instruments and maintain up-to-date and accurate records.
- Knowledge of safe operating codes.
- More than one year of experience in steam generation and/or boiler work.
Additional Candidate Instructions
Complete the online application at http://employment.ku.edu/staff/11880BR, include a resume/cover letter addressing how you meet the required qualifications including the names and contact information to three references.