Coordinator of Graduate Admissions & Advising - 13170BR
Coordinator of Graduate Admissions & Advising
The Coordinator of Graduate Admissions & Advising position is responsible for providing comprehensive management of the admissions process for the MSW and PhD programs, designing and implementing student-centric systems to facilitate application processing and notification to attract and enroll graduate students in the School of Social Welfare. Working closely with the Program Directors, the Office of Graduate Studies and the Recruitment Coordinator, this position is responsible for providing leadership in developing, implementing, and continually improving systems, processes, and technology designed to ensure admissions operations support recruitment and enrollment.
In addition, this position will provide a critical role in the development, implementation, and delivery of academic advising for Lawrence based MSW and PhD students. In this role, the Coordinator of Graduate Admissions & Advising is responsible for knowledge of and compliance with Board of Regents, University and School policies, managing student data and records, and monitoring progress toward degree.
This position will report to the Assistant Dean.
- Operations Strategy, Processes & Procedures, and Reporting - 50%
- Coordinates and manages workflow processes associated with application processing and ensures processes are student-friendly and completed within designated cycle times.
- Provides leadership in the creation, coordination and evaluation of admissions processes.
- Works closely with the Program Directors to ensure alignment and integration of admission standards.
- Coordinates the processes and monitoring of perspective data entry for 300+ M.S.W. and 20+ Ph.D. applications reviewing applications for minimum standards.
- Maintains application and admission records for all past and current student applicants per institutional document retention policy.
- Monitors all incoming transcripts, reviewing credit and determining if course waivers are approved or denied.
- Coordinates faculty review process and works with Program Directors to determine best practices.
- Generates all communications - paper and electronic - to students regarding the application process and decision notifications.
- Provides follow up to applicants with questions concerning denied decisions.
- Provides updates and reporting, clarifies application deadlines, and shares pertinent application and admission processing information along with trend data with the Dean, Associate Dean, Program Directors, and accrediting boards.
- Responsible for knowledge of and compliance with Board of Regents, University, and Council on Social Work Education policies.
- Works directly with Graduate Studies for annual updates to the application.
- Academic Advising – 40%
- Provides individual and group advising to Lawrence MSW students assisting with degree planning, course scheduling, enrollment, academic requirements, and School/KU policies.
- Provides back-up advising and support to Edwards and western KS students in conjunction with the KUEC Success Coach and WS Kansas Program Coordinator.
- Provides leadership and coordination of academic support services and programs to foster student success at the MSW and PhD level working with School, University and community partners.
- Maintains advising records for current and past students both MSW and PhD and completes licensing forms and requests from alumni.
- Assists students with completion of add/drop/change of sections, financial aid appeals, graduation plans and checks, qualifying papers tracking, dissertation proposals/defense, etc.
- Provides appropriate referral to University offices and resources.
- Reviews and processes change of program status requests in conjunction with Program Directors.
- Reviews student records for graduation requirements and provides approved lists to the Office of the University Registrar.
- Other – 10%
- Update communications/materials for admission functions including website in cooperation with Program Directors and School Marketing & Communications Director.
- Hires and trains temporary/season staff to accommodate peak processing times.
- Serves on campus and School committees as needed.
- Assumes additional responsibilities as assigned by the Assistant Dean and Program Directors.
- Master’s degree or Bachelor’s plus five years related experience at a post-secondary education institution in admissions, advising, or student records.
- Minimum of (5) years experience with application systems or technical database systems.
- Minimum of (5) years experience working with diverse student populations, faculty, professional, and support staff in a higher education institution.
- Demonstrated ability to make complex decisions on a regular basis as evidenced by professional experience.
- Excellent written communication skills as demonstrated in the application materials.
- Experience writing policies and procedures and/or process mapping and documenting.
- Demonstrated skill in successfully managing multiple detail-oriented projects.
- Demonstrated strong organizations skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team-orientation environment.
- Flexibility with and adaptability to rapidly changing priorities or projects.