Electrician - 11584BR
In addition to a competitive salary, KU offers great benefits to employees with up to 176 hours of paid vacation per year, 72 hours of sick leave earned per year, nine paid holidays plus one discretionary day, a retirement program, medical & dental insurance, life and disability insurance, other benefit plan options and State of Kansas discounts offered by various vendors. KU also offers employees educational and professional development opportunities.
KU is a great place to work!
40% - Electrical Distribution/Equipment: Inspects and tests electrical distribution equipment and wiring outside and inside buildings to verify conformance of installation with construction and building code specification. Examines wires and auxiliary equipment, such as fuses, insulators, and switches to determine conformance to work orders utilizing thorough knowledge of types, sizes and styles of equipment. Compares layout and methods of installation to blueprints and sketches and marks differentiations. Tests lines, transformers, and other distribution equipment using such devices as ohmmeters, voltmeters, and locates cause of electrical disturbance and determines actual electrical load on system. Work requires excellent understanding of voltages range from 24 to 600volts. Maintains and repairs mercury-vapor, fluorescent, electric arc or incandescent streetlights. Climbs ladders or stands in tower-truck bucket to reach lamps. Tests circuits and electrical components. Replaces blown fuses and bulbs, faulty transformers, photoelectric timers electrodes and wires. Requires ability to read, comprehend and complete complex written instructions.
15% - Related: Previews, orders and otherwise obtains electrical materials and equipment. Completes work order paperwork. Trains, instructs and otherwise acts as lead worker to other shop personnel. Informs supervisor of work status. Cleans and maintains job sites and tools. Performs related work as necessary. Assigns work in the absence of the shop supervisor. Performs project reviews and participates in collaborative meetings for Facilities Services and Design and Construction Management as needed.
5% - Performs other related work as assigned.
2. High School diploma or completion of G.E.D. equivalency.
3. Two (2) years of experience as an electrician. Associate’s degree or vocational school certification may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
- Reach, grasp, hold, lift and manipulate a variety of hand and power tools.
- Perform work above normal heights, in confined spaces, and in extreme temperatures.
- Lift and carry heavy loads (up to 50 lbs) occasionally with or without accommodation.
- Operate vehicles in transporting self and materials to job sites.
- Work overtime and respond to after-hours emergencies as needed.
- Report to work during declared periods of inclement weather.
- Ability to read, interpret, and work from sketches, blueprints, job specifications, and schematics.
- Experience with all voltage up to 600v.
- Experience working with conduit
- Familiarity with electrical test equipment.
- Experience working in a college or university setting
Additional Candidate Instructions
Complete the online application at http://employment.ku.edu/staff/11584BR, include a resume/cover letter addressing how you meet the required qualifications including the names and contact information to three references.