Federal Work Study- Office Assistant- Student Hourly POOL - 10782BR
Federal Work Study- Office Assistant- Student Hourly POOL
As the face of the Writing Center, you will provide expert, friendly customer service, while being punctual and reliable. In addition, you will be expected to communicate efficiently and work effectively with a diverse staff and clientele. You must be able to multitask during peak service times.
Job duties include:
- Manage daily consulting operations in Anschutz and Watson Libraries
- Manage key components of an online appointment system
- Understand and promote KUWC services as posted on the Center’s website
- Communicate effectively with staff, consultants, and other office assistants to ensure seamless customer service
- Support staff by answering the phone and taking messages, answering emails, creating and editing documents, transcribing audio files, and delivering mail
- Present informational class visits and staff information tables to increase student awareness of Writing Center services
- Assist in organizing and staffing events such as Graduate Research/Write-Ins and Late Night at the Roost.
- Communicate with clients from all backgrounds in a respectful manner
- Perform other duties as requested
Professional Development Opportunities:
As an office assistant, you will have the opportunity to:
- Participate in an academic learning environment.
- Develop career maturity by gaining knowledge and meaningful experiences inside and outside of the office environment.
- Demonstrate professional skills that employers value for transition to the workplace such as planning and prioritizing work, communication, problem solving, teamwork and collaboration, and leadership.
- Capitalize on mutually beneficial relationships that expand perspective and build interpersonal communication skills.
- Navigate the global community by developing a broader understanding of different cultures, economies, and systems of the world.
- Build a broader understanding of the different cultures, perspectives and systems of the world and applying that knowledge to a variety of contexts.
After one semester of service:
- Additional development is available to continuing office assistants, such as the Lead Office Assistant position.
- Opportunities for special projects or assignments with coordinators and/or administrators.
- Undergraduate student at KU (enrolled in at least six hours)
- Working knowledge of Outlook, Word, Excel, Publisher, and Acrobat.
- Excellent written communication skills as evidenced in application materials
- Only applicants who have filed a current year FAFSA and applied for and accepted a Federal Work-Study award for Spring 2017 will be hired. For information, browse to http://affordability.ku.edu/financialaid/workstudy/federal.
- Multicultural and/or multilingual experience
- Excellent oral communication skills as evidenced in screening interview
- Previous customer service experience
- Working knowledge or ability to quickly adapt to technology like Drupal, Skype for Business/Lync, and myCommunity (Sharepoint)
Additional Candidate Instructions
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin January 22 and continue throughout the semester.