Graduate Admissions Specialist - 17861BR
Graduate Admissions Specialist
More than perhaps any other factor, the degree to which a university attracts and retains qualified students determines the success or failure of that institution. The Enrollment Management division is a key player in this activity and has a profound effect on the institution’s success. Specifically, the Graduate Admissions Specialist administers application processes for graduate programs on the Lawrence and Edwards Campus and provides general support for the office and events. The primary responsibility of this position is to process graduate applications, which includes reviewing applications for minimum university requirements and conducting international credential evaluations.
This position works remotely from home (telework).
- Serve as operational admissions liaison with KU academic schools and departments
- Evaluate degree-seeking, certificate-seeking, non-degree seeking, and re-enrollment applications for minimum requirements for admission into a graduate program and process decision on behalf of the Vice Provost of Graduate Studies
- Review accreditation and recognition of status on applications recommended for admission
- Maintain current knowledge of Graduate Studies’ admissions policies and procedures
- Verify and confirm authenticity of academic documents submitted with graduate application
- Assign appropriate admission status (regular admit, provisional admit, deny) according to Graduate Admissions requirements, which includes entering applicant data into Enroll and Pay, and making corrections to applicant records
- Prepare detailed international credential evaluations for graduate departments, which includes an examination of institutions and credentials, dates of attendance, and conversion of individual course grades to an overall U.S. equivalent grade point average
- Based on guidance provided by the Office of the University Registrar, assign initial residency based on address information, work, and school history, which has significant impact upon the rate of tuition the applicant will pay
- Place enrollment holds for final, degree conferring official transcripts, Watkins Health Center, and Applied English Center, and release the holds for official transcripts upon receipt of appropriate documentation
- Oversee daily application load of processed admissions from the admissions database to PeopleSoft/Oracle Enroll and Pay system
- Train faculty and staff on the use of the online evaluation tool and admissions processes
- Assist with graduate student-specific training for departmental staff; this may include but is not limited to: assisting with workshops on funding, enrollment, and international student processes
Office and Event Management (15%)
- In coordination with Enrollment Management Student Services (EMSS), manage the main Graduate Admissions’ phone and e-mail accounts, and walk-in traffic
- Provide support for the planning and execution of events and workshops, including New Graduate Student Orientation
- Assist with on-campus or virtual visits; provide campus or virtual directions, parking arrangements, etc.
Other duties or special projects as assigned (5%)
- Bachelor’s degree and one year of related professional experience
- One year minimum of work experience that demonstrates ability to perform detailed work, prioritize multiple tasks, and meet deadlines as evidenced by application materials
- Demonstrated strong communication and organizational skills as evidenced by letter of application and work history
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, as evidenced in application materials and interview
- Outstanding customer service orientation
- Knowledge of KU and graduate programs’ admission requirements, policies, and procedures
Additional Candidate Instructions
1. A cover letter addressing how required and preferred qualifications are met.
2. Resume or curriculum vitae.
3. Contact information for three professional references.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Application review begins September 28th, 2020. To be considered, please apply no later than Sunday, September 27th, 2020.