Graphic Designer - 11929BR
KU Student Housing provides accommodations for more than 5,200 students on the KU campus in residence halls, apartments and cooperative houses known as scholarship halls. The incumbent in this position assists with production of all Student Housing-related materials making use of the university’s institutional brand with printed and digital materials, photography and overseeing identity compliance. The incumbent ensures that the work produced by KU Student Housing is innovative, consistent, and effective for a broad range of print and digital media. Primary focus is on high-impact, high-visibility projects which serve the needs of prospective and current residents of KU Student Housing, their families, and other KU Student Housing and university staff members.
This position requires exceptional creativity in developing strong visual solutions for messaging in projects such as advertising, booklets, brochures, cards, fliers, posters, invitations, postcards, web sites, signage, banners, social media, and e-mail communication. Most work is performed at the KU Student Housing Office in Corbin Hall; however, participation in field photography, video shoots, production research, meetings, workgroups, and training may require presence elsewhere on campus.
Creates materials and content to meet the unit’s strategic goals by making use of a range of media (print, digital, video, interactive, etc.), various methods, techniques, and equipment. Creates and refines original designs and imagery for use in campaigns, booklets, brochures, promotional materials, banners, sportswear, invitations, web sites, e-mail, and other communications tools from initial concepts/drafts to the finished product. Consults with other project team members to refine project ideas before production.
Gathers all necessary information required for production of thorough and complete artwork and maintains files for artwork output. Work includes adhering to necessary postal requirements, transmitting files to printers, troubleshooting any production issues with printers.
20% Project Management and Consulting
Determines stylistic direction for projects and campaigns based on client objectives, maintaining the university brand while meeting Student Housing goals, and taking advantage of vendor services/strengths to ensure high-quality product/outcomes. This involves articulating KU identity guidelines; photo/video selection and editing, including planning, directing, and executing photo/video shoots; and taking regular meetings with internal Student Housing staff, student leaders, and appropriate vendors to determine required goals and outcomes per project.
Assists and/or presents work drafts to clients and indicates how the solutions and ideas meet the requirements of the project or assignment. Contributes to an atmosphere which nurtures creativity and innovative design. Maintains a very high quality of output to an agreed time and budget. Checks project artwork for completeness and assure adherence to brand standards. Make all edits/corrections promptly and correctly. Ensures the quality and accuracy of files that are created or sent to vendors.
20% Other Related Duties
Maintains appropriate records (via FileMaker Pro and Lightroom software) and filing systems as necessary for effective management and oversight of publications and project jobs. Updates and briefs Marketing Team staff weekly via a project status report.
Tracks production and delivery of finished project and maintains files of creative assets produced in unit. Archives files and maintains server organization. Professional development may include training and conferences, online research and learning and other activities as they arise. Completes special projects as assigned by supervisor and senior KU Student Housing staff.
Hire, train, mentor, and supervise student or intern staff in marketing/design/photography.
- Undergraduate degree in graphic design, fine arts, marketing, or a closely related field involving the visual arts from an accredited college, university, or school of art and design plus professional experience.
- High level of proficiency with at least 2 years of experience in the Adobe Creative Suite, as evidenced by application materials, including software such as InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator, and Acrobat on Macintosh operating system.
- Thorough understanding of typography and experience in pre-press preparation of art files for commercial offset printing.
- Experience with project management and strong prioritization skills and experience plus ability to manage multiple critical deadlines amidst a background of rapidly changing priorities.
- Experience with FileMaker Pro database management.
- At least 3 years of experience in digital photo manipulation techniques, knowledge of current photo trends and knowledge of file conversion details.
- Working knowledge of development of motion graphics for editing of video.
- Working knowledge of Drupal software for web content management system and of Visix software for plasma screen display.
Additional Candidate Instructions
Review of applications begins May 31, 2018. To ensure consideration apply by May 30, 2018.
Contact Information to Applicants
KU Student Housing