***INTERNAL ONLY*** Director and Associate or Full Professor - 11908BR
***INTERNAL ONLY*** Director and Associate or Full Professor
This internal search is for the Director of the Center for East Asian Studies (CEAS).
Founded in 1959, the Center for East Asian Studies (CEAS) at the University of Kansas is the only East Asian resource center in the Great Plains region. CEAS supports East Asian language instruction and promotes East Asian studies across the curriculum. About 70 affiliated faculty members teachin 26 departments and 8 professional schools at KU, offering over 250 courses fully or partially devoted to East Asia.
Director (0.50 FTE)
1. Provides leadership and oversight for all unit activities.
2. Oversees academic programs of the unit.
3. Reviews and modifies, in consultation with the unit’s Advisory Committee and affiliated faculty members, the long-range planning for the unit.
4. Oversees all internal budgetary, administrative, and personnel matters.
5. Seeks enhancement of all unit resources by actively seeking external funding.
6. Manages execution of all grants in the unit.
7. Supervises and reviews the unit’s faculty and professional, academic, and University support staff.
8. Develops and enhances research and educational relationships between the unit and other units across the College and University, as well as with agencies outside the University, governmental, public, or private.
9. Develops long-term planning for future leadership by cultivating/mentoring faculty members.
10. Executes College and University policy in the unit effectively.
11. Represents the unit and reports to CLAS, and represents the unit to other University entities.
Faculty Duties (0.50 FTE)
1. Teach courses in his/her field of specialty.
2. Advise students, including student mentoring and provide directed readings.
3. Supervise graduate teaching assistants, as assigned.
4. Serve on committees that supervise and evaluate student progress.
Engage in scholarly research, including publishing appropriate peer-reviewed books, articles and/or presenting papers at professional conferences on a regular basis.
Provide general service to one’s home department, the College, the University, the state, national and international to the profession.
1. Tenured appointment with the rank of Associate or Full Professor in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
2. Demonstrated ability to serve successfully as an academic leader and team builder, developing and enhancing research and educational relationships among faculty and between the unit and its affiliated units, as evidenced by application materials.
3. Teaching experience at both the undergraduate and graduate levels and commitment to teaching excellence.
4. Strong record of scholarly achievement, as evidenced by an established program of research with the promise of continued productivity.
5. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and to manage interpersonal relations, as evidenced by application materials.
2. Demonstrated commitment to interdisciplinary and international studies in teaching, research, and service.
3. Experience with KU and KUCR administrative procedures.
4. Experience in seeking outside funding and managing multiple projects successfully.
Additional Candidate Instructions
For a complete announcement and to apply online, go to: https://employment.ku.edu. A complete online application includes the following materials:
Application Content: Applications should include: 1) a statement of the candidate's goals and vision for CEAS and 2) a curriculum vitae containing information on accomplishments in research, teaching, service, and administration.
Application Deadline: Initial review of applications begins May 17, 2018, and continues as long as needed to identify a qualified pool.