Java Programmer - 11895BR
Different skill sets may be emphasized as dictated by current priorities requiring the incumbent to be adaptable and flexible. The incumbent is also expected to take every opportunity to advance skill sets and work with senior developers and architects in areas that are critical to the organization, especially web-based application development. Effective communication with peers, other campus service providers/data sources, and management is essential to assure timely, well-documented results.
- 50% - Develops code, maintains, and supports software, applications, and web sites under the supervision of senior programming staff while seeking methods for automation, efficiency, and security conscious development.
- 20% - Researches and develops solutions to problems or as specified by the functional needs of the project with guidance from senior programming staff, technical leads, and system architects.
- 10% - Collaborates with clients, other developers, and members of the university community to understand and contribute to project needs as well as maintain a broader view of the KU environment.
- 10% - Ensures deliverables meet relevant standards and architecture in a team culture of code walk through.
- 5% - Communicates frequently with the Unit Manager and other developers to provide status updates and knowledge to clients and peers.
- 5% - Other related duties as assigned.
This position shares in responsibility for information security by following all applicable security policies and procedures.
This position is authorized to use elevated privilege accounts in the performance of job duties.
This position is authorized to issue password resets in accordance with established procedure in the performance of job duties.
This position is authorized to handle sensitive or confidential data in accordance with established procedures in the performance of job duties.
This position is authorized to provision and manage user accounts and access in accordance with established procedures in the performance of job duties.
- A bachelor's or higher degree from an accredited institution.
- Two years experience with Java/C++/C# programming; OR 12 credit hours of coursework using Java/C++/C#; OR one year of work experience plus 6 credit hours of coursework using Java/C++/C#
- Two or more years experience with
- Web-based Application Development
- Development and maintenance of a database focused application (Prefer mySQL and/or Oracle)
- 1 to 2 years experience with
- XML-enabled Application Development
- Web-based Application Development
- The application of object-oriented programming techniques
- Development and maintenance of a database focused application
- RDBMS (prefer mySQL and/or Oracle)
- Linux operating system and common command line tools for the platform
- Experience communicating and collaborating effectively with technical teams, business partners, and management including excellent presentation and writing skills.
- Prior experience in career-related self development and interest in learning new technical skills
- Two years demonstrated HTML and CSS experience.
- Strong time-management and organizational skills, with a record of being flexible, accurate, detail-oriented, reliable and self-motivated.
- Experience producing technical documentation.
- Experience with and/or knowledge of the following
- Git or other version control system
- Application/web security
- Middleware technologies including application servers, directory servers (LDAP), and authentication/authorization
- Struts/Spring MVC
- Software architecture design, system analysis and associated methodologies
- JSR 168 compliant portlet development
Additional Candidate Instructions
A cover letter addressing how required qualifications are met.
3 Professional References
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Deadline for applications is Wednesday May 23rd, 2018.