Department: Latin American & Caribbean Studies
Job Title: Student Hourly
Working Title: Student Assistant
Position Number(s): 00007541
Position Overview: The Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies seeks a Graduate student hourly Outreach and Office Assistant. This 16-20 hours/week student hourly position provides a working experience that will benefit students professionally by providing practical experience in the field of research development and grant writing. It also allows students to develop skills in the creation of newsletters, in managing a website and organizing events. This can be a 9-to-12 month position. Summer employment and annual reappointment is contingent on performance and available funding.
- Responsible for department email account: distributing reminders, flyers, and emails to faculty, students, and campus organizations;
- Event Promotion: flyer creation for classes and other LAS events. Promoting LAS events on campus and through social media and email listserves.
- Responsible for check in/check out of LAS cultural trunks and other materials
- Create monthly calendars, bi-annual newsletter, invitations, programs
Website and Outreach
- Responsible for updating Center calendar, News, Photos, Video (YouTube), and general LAS website info.; Work with Office Manager and other outreach workers.
- Creating bi-annual newsletter: excellent writing & editing skill required.
- Organization of major events such as Waggoner Research Colloquium, Film Festival, Graduate Symposium, Workshops, etc.
- Contribute to El LASO, editing, calendar
- Works closely with the Director and Assistant Director to facilitate institutional grant applications. This includes compiling and organizing information in support of grant and fellowship proposals; supporting data, faculty CV data, letters of support and commitment, and other support materials as needed.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED: This job description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work for this position; it is not intended to provide a comprehensive inventory of all duties required.
- KU graduate enrollment: To qualify, applicants must be admitted to and enrolled in a KU doctoral program and enrolled in at least six credit hours during the fall/spring semesters; or, after successful completion of the doctoral comprehensive examination and all other Graduate Studies and departmental requirements for candidacy to the doctoral degree and completing eighteen post-comprehensive credit hours, must be enrolled in at least one dissertation, thesis, or equivalent credit hour at KU.
- Ability to work 16-20 hours per week between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Application materials indicate strong written communication and editing skills.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to work collaboratively.
- KU ABD graduate student in a humanities or humanities-related social science discipline.
- Demonstrated facility with word processing, database, spreadsheet, and online application
- Knowledge of Programs such as Photoshop, InDesign, and Microsoft Office.
- Experience in grant/fellowship proposal development and grant reporting.
Pay: $12.50 - $15.00/hour
FTE: Part-time, 16-20 hours/week
Number of Openings: 1
Employee Class: Student Hourly
Work Location: 320 Bailey Hall
Work Schedule: To be determined
Contact Information for Applicants: Judy Farmer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline/Review Date: July 31, 2013
Estimated Start Date: August 15, 2013
Specific Detailed Application Instructions for this Position:
Submit online application, attach resume, cover letter, and list of 3 references.