Medical Records Coder - 10665BR
Medical Records Coder
The incumbent in this position will see, hear and possibly have access to confidential information that must be handled in accordance with all relevant state and federal laws and University policies and procedures regarding its use and disclosure. This position is also authorized to review, create and process patient information and/or data in accordance with established procedures in the performance of job duties.
WHS utilizes computer technology in all aspects of its operations, including an electronic health record system. The incumbent must become familiar with and be able to use the appropriate computer hardware and software programs associated with this position.
The incumbent must become familiar with and adhere to the Watkins Health Services Customer Service Plan to ensure appropriate interaction and positive outcomes with both internal and external customers.
Watkins Health Services is a unit in Student Affairs.
40% Claim Documentation Management
Uses the electronic health record system Point and Click (PnC) to generate a listing of patients for each calendar date of the month. Validates each encounter for complete information for claim charges and applying to the proper insurance carrier for claims.
35% Auditing and Coding
- Validates each claim for accurate and appropriate coding as assigned by clinical staff, making changes or assigning additional codes only in accordance with national coding rules and guidelines.
- Implements processes that allow for timely coding & invoicing of all patient encounters as necessary.
- Queries providers when code assignments and/or documentation is not appropriate or complete.
- Maintains an audit log of unbilled procedures and prepares a monthly audit report for the Nursing Department Manager and the Chief of Medical Staff and Director.
- Completes audits to identify lost revenue through inadequate coding documentation or unbilled services for departments/providers and performs compliance investigations, as needed.
- Prepares reports and trend analyses for the Quality Improvement Committee and the Electronic Health Record Committee.
Responds to inquires with timely, accurate information. Refers inquiries, when necessary, to supervisor or other departments, supplying name, ID, and other pertinent information. Composes and enters internal notes into the Billing module of PnC vital to efficient departmental workings about any phone conversation with patients, payers, etc.
5% Maintain Code Dictionaries/Advise on Coding Updates
- Identifies routine updates of CPT, HCPCS & ICD via publication monitoring and online resources; notifies clinical staff and WHS management of appropriate codes for new services and outdated codes; and updates to fee schedule.
- Assists clinical staff in developing Coding Picklists and order sets in PnC.
- Responds to inquiries, both in person and when answering phone, according to departmental policies.
- Assist with balancing the day’s business and creating the daily deposit.
Participates in programs and meetings to upgrade job related skills. Participates in learning opportunities to earn CEUs. Maintains coding credentials.
- High School Diploma or completion of General Education Development (GED) Equivalency.
- Three years of experience in skilled clerical, accounting, auditing and/or administrative support work, including one year of experience with basic office computer systems.
- Knowledge of medical office procedures either through experience or training and two years of coding experience in a clinical setting.
- One of the following national coding certifications:CPC (Certified Professional Coder), CPC-H (Certified Professional Coder-Hospital), CPC-P (Certified Professional Coder-Payer) (from AAPC)CCA (Certified Coding Associate), CCS (Certified Coding Specialist), CCS-P (Certified Coding Specialist- Physician-based) (from AHIMA).
- Associate degree or bachelor's degree in Health Information Technology or Administration.
- Credentialed as a Registered Health Information Technician or as a Registered Health Information Administrator.
- Experience in public services requiring direct client/patient contact.
Additional Candidate Instructions
In addition to the online application, the following documents are required to be considered for this position:
1. A cover letter addressing how required and preferred qualifications are met.
2. Resume or curriculum vitae.
3. Contact information for three professional references.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. To be considered for this position applications must be received no later than January 19, 2018.