POOL- Fall 2018 KU Student Housing Resident Assistant - 10503BR
POOL- Fall 2018 KU Student Housing Resident Assistant
Building learning-centered communities through individual support and respect
Our Central Values
We advance KU's mission with:
- Engaging communities
- Vibrant physical spaces
- Effective administration
We proudly commit to preparing our students and staff to thrive in a global community. We seek to understand and affirm all identities we serve to develop a culture where individuals challenge assumptions and engage in open discourse. Through representative staff and equitable policies we will continue to serve the evolving needs of our diverse communities.
- Serve as a representative of KU Student Housing, Student Affairs, and the university.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the Mission, Values, and Inclusion Statement of KU Student Housing.
- Demonstrate a willingness to learn, and an appreciation for various identities. Including the ability to show respect for other cultures, rights, feelings, and property.
- Demonstrate a commitment to personal integrity, such as modeling good judgment, ethical behavior, and adherence to laws and policies.
- Serve as an educator in your community, as directed by the primary educators of the complex.
- Demonstrate positive interpersonal communication skills.
- Support and be a resources for hall openings/closings, room changes, and other initiatives.
- Promote community building by maintaining a welcoming living space. Resident Assistants may be expected to hold individual meetings with residents in their private living space.
- Participate in regular staff meetings, meetings with supervisor, ongoing departmental communication and training, and an annual performance evaluation processes.
- Positively engage and contribute during staff meetings, trainings, retreats, programs, etc.
- Be available to stay on campus and work during academic break periods.
- Implement departmental engagement plan for intentional conversations.
- Communicate with supervisor to request up to 10 nights off per semester. A night off is defined as any night the Resident Assistant does not return to their building/room by 2:00 a.m.
- Each RA is subject to possible progressive discipline up to and including termination in the event of a violation of policies, procedures and regulations of Residence Life, and of The University of Kansas, including, but not limited to, the Terms and Conditions of the KU Student Housing Contract, Student Code of Rights and Responsibilities, KU Human Resources policies, and the Student Housing Handbook.
- Educate residents about diversity and inclusion by passive and active means. This may include creating and posting bulletin boards, holding conversations, hosting/attending cultural events, and supporting campus events.
- Participate in and engage in departmental training and continued learning on the subject of diversity and inclusion.
- Model inclusion through engaging in dialogue with residents, staff members, and senior staff, as well as engaging in personal reflection.
- Address actions and words which limit efforts toward creating an environment which supports and encourages the acceptance of diversity.
Health & Wellness
- Encourage responsible behavior by demonstrating ethical conduct and enforcing University of Kansas and KU Student Housing regulations and policies.
- Keep senior staff informed of all crisis incidents as they happen.
- Respond promptly to student issues, conflicts, mediation needs, and crisis situations.
- Respond to emergencies immediately, follow appropriate protocols.
- Participate in duty coverage as a complex first-responder. This includes carrying an on-call phone on night and weekend duty, completing duty rounds, and responding to issues as they arise.
- Assess needs and concerns of residents through regular contact and communication.
- Hold community meetings.
Self & Relational Management
- Be flexible and willing to accept other duties as assigned.
- Regularly facilitate intentional interactions with residents.
- Complete all administrative tasks fully and punctually. Tasks include but are not limited to submitting facility service requests, answering emails, and submitting incident reports.
- Introduce yourself and build relationships with residents in the community when there is movement within your community.
- Respond to requests for information and resident follow up as requested in a timely manner.
- Check and empty mailbox daily.
- Read and respond to all communication.
- Communicate respectfully and effectively with residents, senior staff, and fellow staff members.
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive student information at all times. Discuss resident issues with supervisors only.
- Encourage interpersonal and inclusive group interactions between residents through social activities and bonding opportunities for residents on a regular basis throughout the year.
- Complete bulletin boards with pre- and post-components as detailed in departmental lesson plans.
- Engage in academic success interventions and intentional one-on-one conversations with students consistent with departmental requirements and learning outcomes.
- Model positive academic behaviors, and keep academics as a priority.
- Create a floor/building community conducive to academic success and studying, e.g., maintain/enforce quiet/courtesy hours, encourage study groups, make educational bulletin boards about academics, encourage residents to talk to faculty, promote tutoring, etc.
- Understand university support services/resources and refer students when necessary.
- Identify and offer assistance to residents with personal, academic, health, and other needs.
- Facilitate apartment/suite/roommate agreements with every resident in the community. Educate residents about the characteristics of a healthy living arrangement and provide opportunities to revisit and revise throughout the year as needed.
- Document all policy violations consistently and follow up with residents following policy violations.
- Encourage residents to hold each other accountable for their actions.
- Support hall council by attending hall council events and promoting hall government.
- Participate in University sponsored events as assigned, e.g. Convocation, Hawk Week, Common book activities, The Big Event, etc.
- Collaborate with other staff members and hall council to support programming and engagement opportunities for residents throughout the year.
- Educate residents about policies throughout the year.
- Must have completed 1 semester of full-time student enrollment by the time of employment.
- Must be a full-time KU student with enrollment in no more than 18 undergraduate hours, or no more than 9 graduate hours per semester.
- Maintain a minimum 2.50 KU cumulative GPA and be in good standing with the university and Student Housing for the duration of their employment.
- Have at least 2 semesters of residential group living experience.
Additional Candidate Instructions
In addition, first-year Resident Assistant staff members receive $70.00 biweekly.
First-year Apartment Living RA staff members receive $85.00 biweekly.
Returning Resident Assistant staff members receive $85.00 biweekly.
Returning Apartment Living RA staff members receive $95.00 biweekly.
Term of Appointment:
August 6, 2018 for staff development and training, through May 20, 2019
(Including Fall Break, Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, and Spring Break)
August 6, 2018 for staff development and training, through May 21, 2019
(Including Fall Break, Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, and Spring Break)
State of Kansas Weapons Policy
Beginning July 1, 2017, any individual who is 21 years of age or older and who is lawfully eligible to carry a concealed handgun in Kansas shall not be precluded from doing so on state university campuses except in buildings and areas of buildings for which adequate security measures are provided, and except as otherwise prohibited by law. For additional details please see http://publicaffairs.ku.edu/weapons-laws-policies-affecting-ku
Completed Application Includes: Online application, cover letter and resume.
Application Deadline: January 22nd, 2018 (midnight)