Portuguese Lecturer/Academic Program Asoc - 12924BR
Portuguese Lecturer/Academic Program Asoc
- Teach nine to ten credits per semester of 100-400- levels Portuguese.
- Prepare for and attend all class meetings. In case of absence, the program associate/ lecturer must make arrangements for an appropriate substitute. Classes should not be cancelled.
- Provide instruction throughout the semester, develop appropriate material for class sessions, grade assignments in a timely manner, provide students with regular and precise information about their progress in the course, and give students clear information about how to improve their performance in the course.
- Hold regular office hours for students in the classes taught. A minimum of three posted office hours each week is required. These office hours should be divided over at least two and preferably three different days. The program associate/ lecturer should be available for reasonable appointments if a student cannot meet during scheduled office hours.
- Keep a detailed and well-organized grade record of all evaluations of student work in the course. All these materials should be made available to the Department at the close of the semester.
- Maintain standards of excellence in teaching and in the evaluation of student performance.
- Adhere to departmental, college and university policies.
25% - Academic Program Associate
- Serve as coordinator of 100 and 200 level courses in Portuguese.
- Manage and support other instructors in the use of course technology.
- Coordinate the selection of common course materials shared by all instructors. Update established materials such as the course syllabus, class plans, exam guides, and rubrics and grading criteria.
- Oversee the preparation of common exams and final exams; develop schedule for all major exams; develop schedule for make-up exams and proctors for make-up exams.
- Organize materials for distribution to all instructors.
- Manage inquiries related to the course and assist students in the course with any concerns.
- Organize peer communication among instructors to facilitate the development and sharing of teaching materials.
- Mentor instructors teaching the course; organize and oversee peer mentoring program for instructors, as needed.
- Manage attendance reports during first two weeks of classes in order to oversee the administrative "drop" of students who fail to meet departmental attendance policy requirements. Later in the semester, oversee implementation of attendance and confirm documentation for absences.
- M.A. in Portuguese or relevant field.
- Native or near native proficiency in Portuguese.
Additional Candidate Instructions
1) on-line application;
2) a curriculum vita;
3) a cover letter;
4) concise summary of your teaching experience;
5) and contact info for three letters of professional reference.
Application deadline is October 30, 2018.