Registered Nurse - 12-month - 17650BR
Registered Nurse - 12-month
**This position is a 12-month, full-time appointment
The incumbent serves as a Registered Nurse in an ambulatory care clinic setting at Watkins Health Services (WHS). Applies professional nursing theory and practices in accordance with recognized nursing techniques, procedures, protocols, physician orders, and administrative policies during patient assessment and treatment situations. Incumbent must be able to follow oral and written instructions in detail, prepare nursing care plans and maintain records, charts, and reports; and will be required to work some early evenings and weekends on a rotating basis.
The incumbent will see, hear and possibly have access to confidential information that must be handled in accordance with all relevant state and federal laws and University policies and procedures regarding its use and disclosure. This position is also authorized to review, create and process patient information and/or data in accordance with established procedures in the performance of job duties.
WHS utilizes computer technology in all aspects of its operations, including an electronic health record system. The incumbent must become familiar with and be able to use the appropriate computer hardware and software programs associated with this position.
The incumbent must become familiar with and adhere to the Watkins Health Services Customer Service Plan to ensure appropriate interaction and positive outcomes with both internal and external customers.
Watkins Health Services is a unit in Student Affairs.
Monday - Friday during operating hours 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM and rotating Saturdays 12:00 - 4:00 PM.
60% Patient Care
- Assesses patients’ needs through interviewing, recognizing and interpreting symptoms and conditions in order to determine individual health needs and develops and implements the appropriate plan of care independently and/or under the direction of and in coordination with the physician and other health care personnel and facilities and evaluates effectiveness of care provided.
- Educates patients regarding self-care techniques and preventive methods to promote recovery from a state of illness and help the individual develop health maintenance strategies.
- Maintains work areas and equipment to provide sanitary and safe delivery of patient care following OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Administration) guidelines.
- Provides guidance to LPNs and Medical Assistants working in the same assigned area.
- Documents nursing assessment, physician orders, use of standing orders, medication administration, treatments and services provided, patient response to care provided and instructions given utilizing written and electronic record keeping in order to furnish evidence of care provided. This documentation ensures continuity of care, communication between other professionals, a legal record, and data that can be utilized for quality assurance review and evaluation and medical studies.
- Attends continuing education classes, staff in-services, and continually reviews professional literature/journals to maintain RN licensure and to stay current on changes or new developments in the nursing profession that promote delivery of quality of nursing care.
- Develops and participates in quality assurance activities as assigned to evaluate nursing processes and care provided.
- Participates in WHS committees and/or develops/contributes to special projects at the request of the Nursing Supervisor or Chief of Staff to help achieve the WHS organizational goals of excellence in the development of services and the delivery of quality patient care and customer service.
- Currently licensed as a Registered Nurse (RN) in Kansas or licensed by date of hire.
- Current CPR certification or within 6 months of appointment.
- One year minimum of nursing experience in a hospital, clinic, physician office, or urgent care setting.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a student population.
Additional Candidate Instructions
Please attach a cover letter, resume, and three (3) professional references and use your cover letter to address how you meet the required and preferred qualifications.
Application review begins Monday, August 24, 2020 and continues until a qualified pool of applicants is identified.