Senior Program Manager - 12732BR
Senior Program Manager
The Aerospace Short Course Program, in the Professional Programs unit, develops and presents non-credit aerospace training to domestic and international markets through open enrollment, on-site and online course delivery. Open enrollment short courses are offered annually at designated locations in the United States and online through the KU learning management system. Courses can also be delivered upon request on-site at a company.
The Senior Program Manager (SPM) is a key management position in the unit and is responsible for managing projects that facilitate portfolio growth in the Aerospace Short Course Program. Working under the supervision of the Director of Professional Programs, the SPM is responsible for managing complex multi-event programs by developing and managing event budgets, negotiating and contracting with vendors, and scheduling publicly offered aerospace short courses for the purpose of delivering educational services to domestic and international aerospace audiences. The SPM executes the unit's business strategy through successful delivery of aerospace short courses and shares responsibility for overall program growth by identifying potential business opportunities and subject matter experts to expand course offerings.
Because KU Professional & Continuing Education operates in a self-supporting, entrepreneurial environment, the Senior Program Manager position requires a self-starting individual who is team oriented. The SPM must be a person who is open to new learning, patient with people and processes, yet committed to produce timely results. The SPM must be able to understand larger strategy and translate it to tactical solutions in a fast-paced environment and maintain focus and motivation during periods of uncertainty in program development.
- Manages and coordinates annual short course programs to be delivered at various geographic locations as determined by analysis of aerospace market demands, data from past course enrollment and evaluations, and instructor availability.
- Works with the Business Specialist to develop event budgets and monitor program expenditures for public short course programs.
- Develops, negotiates and manages contractual agreements with vendors to meet educational program needs. Vendors include, but are not limited to, instructional services and hotels or other meeting space providers.
- Determines audio-visual equipment needs, instructional supplies, participant supplies and staff/instructional travel needs for educational events.
- Determines and negotiates meal arrangements and AV supplies with the hotels and/or caterers.
- Works with the Publication Coordinator to ensure timely submission of course materials for public offerings by creating and monitoring timelines and communicating with scheduled instructors to be certain deadlines are met.
- Works with the Director of Professional Programs and the Director of Marketing to develop strategic marketing plans specific to promotion of the Public Program offerings.
- Directs and manages logistics at public program events, including but are not limited to registrations, classroom set-up, instructional needs, and acting as the primary contact for participant concerns.
- Manages program assessment by designing, conducting and interpreting evaluations or surveys for educational events.
- Monitors global aerospace and aviation industry trends, in coordination with the Business Development Manager, and works with Professional Programs leadership team to identify and recruit qualified instructors who provide content to meet the needs of the worldwide aerospace and aviation workforce.
- Manages projects related to new instructor onboarding and associated course development activities, ensuring that materials meet KUPCE design standards and export control compliance requirements.
- Works with the Director of Professional Programs, Business Development Manager and the Director of Marketing to develop and implement marketing strategies to promote the overall program and associated activities.
- Plans and oversees the development and delivery of marketing webinars.
- Engages with the KU Aerospace Department and the Aerospace Advisory Board in coordination with the Director and the Business Development Manager.
- Develops and maintains partnerships with academic, industry and governmental entities for the purpose of securing group rate contracts for Public Program participants.
- Represents the Aerospace Short Course Program by attending industry events and conferences.
- Travels to domestic and international locations to manage course implementation, acting as a representative of KU Professional & Continuing Education.
- Responsible for making independent decisions regarding unanticipated contingencies at both domestic and international locations.
- Works with the director to organize and implement day-to-day operations of the SPM’s program team within the Professional Programs unit, including supervising, maintaining policies, practices, processes, budgets and outcomes of the Aerospace onsite offerings.
- Manages employee and team performance, develops annual goals and supporting training opportunities, counsels and motivates employees and provides annual and periodic evaluations.
- Serves on various committees, as assigned, and works in individual and team settings to accomplish overall Professional & Continuing Education program goals.
- Adheres to University of Kansas, KU Professional & Continuing Education and State of Kansas policies and procedures.
- Attends professional development activities.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution and five years of program/project management experience
- Two years of experience in program budgeting
- Two years of supervisory experience
- Excellent written communication skills as evident in application submission
- Experience working with diverse individuals, including adult learners, instructors, administrators and professional groups
- Ability to work irregular hours including early mornings, evenings, and weekends
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally an average of one week per month
- Ability to lift 35 pounds with or without reasonable accommodation
- Master's Degree from an accredited institution
- Professional experience working in an engineering or technical field
- One year of continuous experience in contribution of oversight of planning of marketing activities designed to increase demand or sales
- Experience working with a CRM
- Knowledge of University of Kansas policies and facilities
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial environment
- Experience in developing/delivering distance learning
- Experience working with international clients, including international business travel
Additional Candidate Instructions
A cover letter addressing how required qualifications are met.
3 Professional References
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Deadline for applications is Saturday September 29th, 2018.