SSC Accounting Specialist - 12789BR
SSC Accounting Specialist
The SSC Accounting Specialist will provide timely and professional services that support or enhance the administrative and service goals of the units served. The SSC Accounting Specialist will report to the SSC Finance Manager or SSC Accountant, and will be responsible for transaction processing for the units served.
- Processes payments through financial systems and determines appropriate account and funding for payment.
- Develops unit processes to ensure that appropriate funding sources are used and that resources are available for purchases; audits and reviews department/center procurement card purchases to ensure procedures for compliance with University, Endowment and KUCR accounting systems are followed.
- Manages travel arrangements and reimbursements; reviews all travel requests to ensure that expenditures and reimbursements are in accordance with pertinent laws and regulations; processes payments and reimbursements as appropriate.
- Determines and follows university purchasing and bid procedures, contracts, and federal regulations to ensure appropriate purchases are made.
- Enters or approves program expenditures with payments in PeopleSoft Financials, KUPPS and KU Endowment Association (as delegated by the areas served).
- Works with the Finance Manager to resolve problems related to billing errors, non-receipt of invoices and discrepancies between statements and records.
- Verifies scholarship recipients, processes posting forms to Financial Aid and Scholarship and provides data and reports to the Chair or Director in support the department’s scholarship process.
- Directs and participates in day-to-day fiscal operations such as cost accounting, revenue analysis or other specialized activities; ensures compliance with established University, Endowment and KUCR accounting principles, policies and objectives.
- Responsible for monitoring departmental expenses and processing cost transfers when needed; ensures that expenditures follow all University and Endowment processes and procedures; identifies discrepancies to supervisor and unit Director/Chair.
- Works with the Finance Manager to inform and assist the Director/Chair with operational needs and related budgetary impact.
- Works with the Finance Manager to provide the Director/Chair with financial information to assist in the development of the annual operating budget.
- Works with the Finance Manager to provide non-standard reports and statements such as cash forecasts reflecting the interrelation of accounting, cost budgeting, program costs or comparable information; identify trends or deviation from standards; evaluate and predict the effects of changes on operational programs/systems; identify management needs and refine account structure or reports accordingly.
- Gathers data for and prepares budgetary, statistical, reconciliation and other requested reports for leadership and SSC Director and Finance Manager.
- Monitors accounts receivable, revenues and expenses and compares balances to the annual budget.
- Works with the Finance Manager to monitor salary lines for regular and temporary employees; complete projection analysis regarding budget vs. expenditures for supervisor and director and make suggestions on reallocation of available shrinkage dollars.
- Escalates questions as appropriate to the SSC Finance Manager and/or the Chair/Director.
- Coordinates with central finance on the interpretation and communication of finance policies, procedures, and programs.
- Reviews and recommends changes to department and SSC procedures to ensure compliance with policy; prepares and updates procedural manuals and related instructional materials.
- Serves as a resource to department staff and faculty to ensure compliance with policy.
- Participates in department meetings and events to maintain knowledge of the department and relationship with the faculty and staff.
- Attends regular meetings, training sessions and professional development workshops/seminars to keep current on policies and procedures relevant to position responsibilities, as requested and approved by the SSC Finance Manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
2. Computer skills in a PC/Windows environment including MS Word and MS Excel as demonstrated by application materials and previous experience.
3. Excellent written communication skills and attention to detail as demonstrated by application materials.
2. Experience using a financial ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning system), such as PS Financials.
3. Experience with fund accounting.
4. Analytical and problem-solving skills.
5. Informational writing experience with program and training materials through mediums such as the web, social media, brochures, manuals.
6. Ability to work in a team environment, be flexible and accountable, manage conflicting responsibilities, prioritize tasks and consistently meet deadlines.
Additional Candidate Instructions
Apply by September 17, 2018 for best consideration. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.