Student Hourly Lab Prep Assistant - 10556BR
Student Hourly Lab Prep Assistant
Primarily prep for Biology 102, 150, and 152 labs.
Duties (including, but not limited to):
- Set-up and organization of materials for each week’s lab.
- Take-down and cleaning of lab at the end of each week.
- Making electrophoresis gels.
- Handling plant & animal samples, living and deceased: e.g. live crawfish, extensive fetal pig dissection, plant anatomy and physiology labs.
- Setting up microscope slide displays.
- Mixing of reagents and buffers.
- Pipetting liquids.
- Fielding questions from students and teaching assistants.
- Making signs for various labs and activities.
- Computer work (MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.).
- Occasional grading for TAs who are unable to work.
- Mid-semester and end-of-semester cleaning.
- Be familiar with the week’s lab materials so you can answer questions from TAs.
- Making sure the labs are clean and organized at the end of any mid-week shifts.
- Looking ahead to prepare in advance for labs that have particularly involved preparation.
In general: receive and follow directions from staff when available, and self-start on work you know needs to be done when explicit directions are not given.
- Current KU student. “During the semester term of the appointment, the student hourly must be enrolled in no fewer than 6 credit hours. For summer periods the student hourly must: 1) have been enrolled in no less than 6 hours in the past spring semester or 2) be pre-enrolled in upcoming fall semester in no less than 6 hours or 3) be enrolled in summer session or 4) be admitted to study in the upcoming fall semester. Student Hourlies may be undergraduate or graduate students. (Exceptions granted for GRA/GTA/GA appointments DO NOT apply to Student Hourly appointments)”.
- Must have completed Introductory Biology courses (i.e., Biol 150 & 152) at the University of Kansas or equivalent courses from other institutions.
- Must be available at least one evening per week (Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday) from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. and Friday mornings from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- GPA: 2.5 or higher
- Lab experience in science courses or work experience in a lab.
- Pre-biology or biology major or majoring in related science field.
- Willingness to learn and follow directions.
- Previous customer service experience.
- Positive attitude, detail oriented and organized.
Additional Candidate Instructions
- Application review begins on January 5, 2018 and will be ongoing until the positions are filled.
- For best consideration, submit all application material by the application review date, January 5, 2018.