Temporary College Mentor - 15983BR
Temporary College Mentor
Only apply if you are committed to the ideals of TRIO, have high integrity, considered to be responsible and timely, can follow directions, have a willingness to learn, and can effectively connect with young students to increase their motivation, knowledge and excitement to remain in school, enroll in an institution of higher education, and obtain a post-secondary degree. The ideal candidate will present a professional demeanor and handle situations with tact and diplomacy; have excellent verbal and written communication and customer service skills, accept feedback and implement change as needed. The ability to work independently, prioritize, execute multiple and continuing assignments and attention to detail are important. Overall, we are seeking high-energy, creative, team worker with great organizational skills and the ability to follow through with assignments and who can work in an office setting as well as with students.
Hours range from 5-20 hours/week depending on availability. Work schedule is negotiable and flexible. Schedule will require occasional evening and weekend hours for events and programming for participants.
Assist with advising sessions (phone or in person), meetings and workshops to program participants as well as recruitment efforts
Assist with college visits, STEM activities, and field trips for middle and high school participants
Assist with various programs such as YES Scholars, Science Academy, family workshops
Perform other relevant duties as assigned such as special projects, programming, and activities to ensure the attainment of the program goals and objectives.
50% - Student Records Management, Tracking, Program Guidance, and Office Tasks
Maintain comprehensive and accurate records and documentation regarding participant contacts, activities, progress, follow-up and evaluation, as needed.
Provide effective lines of communications with Director and program staff as well as school partners to ensure a positive work environment and effective service delivery.
Perform general office tasks (filing, data entry, mailings, phone calls, organization, etc.)
- Currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution of education, or current graduate student status
- At least 4 weeks of experience working with target population
- Earned bachelor’s degree
- Prior experience working with TRIO or similar programs
- TRIO alum status
- Demonstrated proficient oral and written communication in Spanish
- Demonstrated sensitivity and experience working with students and/or individuals from diverse social, economic, academic, and cultural backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to work independently to organized, prioritize multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and follow through on details to completion as evidenced by application materials
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer application skills (i.e., Microsoft Office applications/software, internet research, email)
- Demonstrated strong oral and written communication (including experience making presentations to a variety of audiences) as evidenced by application materials.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise basic human relations skills in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with the target schools, community partners, university community and the public and have a strong commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in education
Additional Candidate Instructions
A complete application includes an online application, cover letter, CV/resume highlighting pertinent experience relative to the required and preferred qualifications and contact information for three professional references. Only complete applications will be considered.
For first consideration, please apply by December 6, 2019. Review of applications begins December 6, 2019 and continues as needed to collect a pool of qualified applicants.