Temporary Summer Instructor - 11677BR
Temporary Summer Instructor
1 Computer Exploration Instructor
1 Foreign Language Instructor
The Summer Program Instructor’s role is to teach an Exploration Course (in computer technology or coding; in a foreign language – i.e., Italian, French, German) in a small group setting. Design a well-researched, interactive curriculum that will meet the diverse needs of 7th graders in a 6-day summer program. In addition, teach 1-3 afternoon Careers & Computer classes using an already-developed curriculum. Program participants will be 7th grade students who are participating in an intensive, fast-paced Discover Technology Summer Camp on KU’s campus. Instructors will be part of a team of dynamic and highly motivated summer staff. Instructors will also assist in the supervision of youth in group settings and group activities, serve as a positive role model for middle school students and provide guidance to students in areas of career access and STEM. Time commitment: Training - June 13th – 15th (optional but highly recommended), July 6th training (mandatory), July 9-14 camp full days, additional prep work required; A successful candidate will be committed to the ideals of TRIO, have high integrity, considered to be responsible and timely, can follow directions efficiently and have a willingness to learn, maintain positive stamina, and can effectively connect with young students to increase their motivation and excitement about college, careers, and STEM –related fields.
20% - Supervise, mentor, interact, and engage participants in group settings and group activities
15% - Serve as a positive role model for 7th grade students, participate in all summer program activities, and provide guidance to students in areas of college access, career exploration, STEM and recreational activities
10% - Assist in the evaluation and program preparations, and become familiar with and closely follow program instructor policies, procedures, and use professional ethics
5% - Participate in staff training and all staff meetings
5% - Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of TRIO Talent Search
- Undergraduate or graduate student status or degree earned as evidenced by the application materials
- Subject area teaching expertise and experience
- Experience with culturally diverse students
- Demonstrated excellent written communication, as evidence through application materials
- Minimum 4 weeks of work experience with youth
- Master’s or Ph.D
- Previous TRIO Experience/TRIO Alum
- At least 3 months of work experience with youth
Additional Candidate Instructions
Preference will be given to applications received by May 3, 2018.
Your cover letter should also include answers to the following questions:
- Will you be working for another department or office on campus over the summer? If yes, what type of position? How many hours per week will you be working?
- Will you be taking any classes this summer?
- Please describe any experience you may have working with TRIO programs.
- Please describe any experience in developing and implementing content-area curriculum.
Hours Worked per week: During summer camp 60+ hours
Regular, early mornings, evenings and 1 Saturday
Instructors for Discover Technology Summer Program (7th graders)
July 6th Training 8:00-5:00pm approx.
July 9th -July 14th approx. 10 hours per day (6-day summer program)
Please note that these summer programs are high energy with interactive and engaging activities.
*Prep time for curriculum development/preparation expected prior, during and after the end of the summer program.
*Additional hours may be available during the summer for various camp preparations (in Kansas City, KS and on campus), as well as for additional mentoring for Talent Search students depending on skills and availability.