Transfer Student Ambassador-Student Hourly - 10716BR
Transfer Student Ambassador-Student Hourly
Transfer Ambassadors is a team within the Student Ambassador program. KU Student Ambassadors are a group of KU students who represent the University as employees of the Office of Admissions. KU Student Ambassadors study a variety of academic majors, and have unique background experiences. These students are involved in various clubs and organizations including leadership opportunities, service groups, Greek Life, academic organizations, religious organizations, athletics, and student government, among others. Many Ambassadors have participated in undergraduate research, study abroad, internships, and more during their time at KU. The primary responsibility of the KU Transfer Student Ambassadors is to actively recruit transfer students while ensuring an exceptional experience for every campus visitor. Transfer Ambassadors work directly with transfer students to share their own experiences and discuss how KU can help these prospective students achieve their own goals.
Responsibilities of KU Transfer Student Ambassadors include but are not limited to creating a positive visit experience by giving tours of campus, providing residence hall tours, serving on panels, speaking about their Jayhawk experience, hosting lunches, responding to questions posed by campus visitors, and corresponding with prospective students and friends of KU. KU Transfer Student Ambassadors are knowledgeable about aspects of campus including academics, campus involvement, student services, housing, the city of Lawrence, and more. The rate of pay for this position is $9.00/hour with an average of 5-10 hours worked per week. Successful KU Transfer Student Ambassadors may be eligible for pay increases after their initial year of employment. KU Transfer Student Ambassadors are supervised by Ambassador Program Graduate Assistants and the Office of Admissions’ Assistant Director for Student Ambassadors.
- Attend all training sessions and regularly scheduled meetings.
- Give a minimum of 3 regular tours or 1 regular tour and 1 extended tour per week.
- Give a minimum of 8 special tours, including transfer visits and VIP tours each Fall and Spring semester.
- Assist with special projects to recruit transfer students to KU.
- Arrive for each work shift on time, dressed appropriately (uniform and nametags will be provided), enthusiastic, and ready to interact with visitors.
- Enter availability into software and find a trained substitute KU Transfer Student Ambassador or Student Ambassador to fill in when they are unable to give an assigned tour.
Tour and Visit Program Schedule
- 10:00 am, 11:00 am and 2:00 pm Mondays and Fridays.
- 10:00 am and 11:00 am Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- 1:00 pm Fridays.
Residence Hall tours:
- 11:30 am, 1:30 pm, 3:30 pm, and 4:20 pm on most weekdays.
- At various times in conjunction with campus visit programs.
Special Group Visit and VIP Tours:
- Transfer Days – Panels at 11:25 and tours at 1pm on Fridays.
- Group visits are generally between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm.
- Any day at various times.
KU Transfer Student Ambassadors may choose to work throughout the summer and/or university breaks. Some additional responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, meeting with walk-in prospective students and families, staffing the KU Visitor Center Welcome Desk or Ambassador Union Welcome Desk, and/or working collaboratively with admissions staff on additional assignments.
- KU student enrolled in at least 6 credit hours per semester during the academic year.
- Demonstrate interest and ability to work with diverse populations, as evidenced by application materials and interview.
- Tranferred to KU from a community college or other four-year institution.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- Involvement in campus organizations and/or experience with a variety of campus resources or programs.
- Availability during Summer 2018 to give tours.
Additional Candidate Instructions
Special Application Instructions:
Please submit a resume that contains your Spring 2018 class schedule, your current cumulative GPA, AND your work availability with the online application.
These positions are posted as a pool. Applications will be reviewed as submitted and hiring done on a rolling basis. This position will remain open until all positions are filled.