Academic Advisor 1 - 22513BR
Academic Advisor 1
The University of Kansas has revitalized the way we think about academic advising and student support and we are looking for higher education professionals to join our team! Be a part of defining the culture of advising at KU and growing as a new or experienced academic advisor. We offer flexible scheduling and remote opportunities.
Jayhawk Academic Advising is a part of the Centers for Orientation and Academic Advising Programs, a unit reporting to the Vice Provost for Academic Success. JAA provides comprehensive academic advising services for new and currently enrolled undergraduate students in all undergraduate majors across the University and is staffed by professional advisors, support staff, graduate assistants and peer advisors.
All advising positions are assigned to a specific student pathway as a part of an embedded model. Student pathway assignments will be determined by what is mutually beneficial to the needs of JAA and the advisor. We are hiring for positions to work with students across the University, including the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, School of Architecture & Design, School of Business, School of Engineering, School of Journalism, and students exploring their major choices. Please indicate in your cover letter any areas of interest you may have.
The person in this position is responsible for knowledge of and compliance with Board of Regents and University policies regarding daily job-related activities applicable to the position.
- Provide proactive and holistic academic advising to assigned new and currently enrolled students.
- Advise students on the development and selection of course schedules consistent with students' educational goals.
- Assist students in developing appropriate educational goals and work towards those goals.
- Assist students with completion of financial aid appeals, probation agreements, graduation plans, etc.
- Provide outreach to students as needed in addition to providing appropriate follow-up and referral to University offices and resources.
- Provide advisement to all students as necessary including those that may not be assigned to the advisor.
- Uses Jayhawk GPS, Enroll & Pay, and other relevant advising tools for student enrollment, degree audit, course prerequisites, etc. Complies with FERPA.
- Provide academic advising for new freshmen, transfer, and readmitted students during new student Orientation sessions.
- Listen and engage with students to assist, educate or connect them to appropriate campus resources, services, and offices.
- Manage caseload of students with provided academic advising software and tools in a manner that is consistent with office metrics and milestones.
- May be cross-trained in responsibilities of other academic advisors and in other academic departments.
- Advises and refers students on academic preparation, time management, test anxiety, study skills and other academic support resources to grow student engagement and success outcomes.
- Responds to inquiries from students and parents. Knows, interprets, and enforces University and College/school rules, policies, and procedures.
- Support University efforts geared toward increasing recruitment and retention.
- Perform programmatic duties that best serves the students and supports the office mission.
- Serve as a liaison to a specific department, college or school and share resources and knowledge with other KUAA staff. Where appropriate, interacts with faculty to provide an exchange of information and to enhance advisement of students.
- Attend departmental, college or school meetings at the discretion of supervisor to facilitate embedded advising model goals and to enhance advisement of students.
- Assume other duties as assigned which may include:
- Taking on special projects, serving on or leading committees, or fulfill a specific role of program responsibilities based upon the strengths and interests of the advisor and the needs of the office.
- Deliver programs that assist in recruitment, transition, or retention efforts.
- Support the unit’s commitment to increasing our diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging practices through trainings, professional development opportunities, facilitated dialogues, etc.
- The work schedule for this position will coincide with student needs and traffic. Office Hours vary based on location, student demand, and staffing needs. Advising Services at KU are offered from 8am – 6pm Mon-Friday. Some evening and weekend hours may be required with reasonable advanced notice.
- Hybrid work arrangements are available and will be negotiated upon offer of employment.
- Bachelor's degree PLUS one (1) year of relevant experience OR a Master's Degree. *Relevant experience to include: working with students, working with clients, counseling services, student affairs programming, educational programming, working in an educational setting, providing direct individual service, etc.
- Master's degree in higher education, counseling, or related field.
- Experience in academic advising or career counseling for undergraduate students.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain rapport with students.
- Evidence of teamwork/collaboration skills.
- Diverse professional and/or academic experience with institutions of higher learning as demonstrated by application materials.
- Experience with university-wide academic program requirements and university procedures as evidenced by work experience.
- Knowledge of academic issues of undergraduate students.
- Experience with relevant computerized student information and communication systems.
- Strong verbal communication and organizational skills, as evidenced by application materials.
Additional Candidate Instructions
In addition to the online application, the following documents are required to be considered for this position:
- A Cover Letter (addressing how required and preferred qualifications are met)
- Resume or curriculum vitae.
- Contact information for three professional references.
- Application review begins Tuesday, July 5, 2022 and continues until all positions have been filled.