Accountant - 10705BR
Responsible for monitoring all bank transactions including but not limited to incoming and outgoing wires, ACH, cash/check deposits, electronic check deposits, bank transfers, positive pay and other bank debits and credits. Accounts may carry a balance upwards to $85 million. Downloads reports from the bank, credit card and web payment services on a daily basis. Evaluates proper sourcing of funds, verifies and confirms data against deposit and receipts transactions submitted. Approves and post deposit journals and banking adjustments in a timely manner. Communicates with University staff to complete accounting for all banking transactions. Audits invoices and statements of bank and merchant services fees, tracks fee updates, analyzes activity volume, maintains fee database, and reports contractual rate variances. Researches and works with banking and merchant services representatives to resolve deposit, charge, credit card disputes and/or settlement discrepancies. Processes returned check items and communicates with respective Department and Shared Service Center staff. Reports corrections to management, bank representative, related departments and other staff integral to process adjustments. Works closely with Student Account Services and Accounts Payables Office Student Organization staff to troubleshoot outstanding check matters. Works closely with Comptroller’s Office staff to submit any unclaimed property to the State of Kansas as required on an annual basis. Serves as a functional liaison to the eCommerce Leadership Team on projects. Trains University staff on balancing daily credit card transactions, and navigating and running reports using ecommerce systems.
25% - Journal Entries
Monitor all accounting transactions to ensure compliance with University policies and procedures and State of Kansas statutes and regulations. Format and submit the various journal entries requested by University staff and administration. Ensure journals are posted to the appropriate general ledger. Provide technical review of journal request changes (JRCs) submitted by departments and shared service center staff. Create and submit journal spreadsheet upload of approved journal submissions. System workflow will provide notification to alert approvers to post all journals. Communicate status of failed journal submissions. Review activity posted to intercompany accounts. Create and post journals to offset/clear intercompany balances and record cash correctly to the general ledger.
20% - Reconciliations
Account reconciliations are completed to ensure the integrity of the general ledger. Most reconciliations are done monthly. The KU General Fee account is reconciled twice a month. Reports are run to verify the ending account balances. If the supporting/tracking documentation does not match general ledger balances, analysis of the variance and discrepancies are identified. A resolution is determined. Reconciliation report is provided to management for review and approval. Issues are communicated to appropriate University staff. Queries and various system reports are used to audit transactions to assure accuracy and correct coding into the general ledger, and troubleshoot any discrepancies or un-matched entries to the accounts.
Primary reconciliations include reconciling various bank accounts, refund/suspense account and intercompany clearing accounts to identify any posting errors and complete accounting and reconciling funds collected by the University have been properly recorded and transferred to the State of Kansas. Tracks, reconciles and reports all deposits and receipts in transit during fiscal yearend close.
5% - Administrative and Other Functions
Employee is expected to do the following along with other major job duties:
- Submit monthly report to management of functions, issues, progress, statistics and other relevant data and updates from office operations.
- Perform backup functions in the absence of staff as designated by management.
- Complete miscellaneous projects, fee tracking and analysis as assigned.
- Engage in testing data for new systems, system upgrades, and/or new functions.
- Assist with fiscal yearend processes and procedures.
- Interpret, follow and comply with Federal, State, and industry laws and regulations, University policies, Comptroller and FACC procedures.
- Exercise good working knowledge of various systems utilized in office operations.
- Provide customer service by email, other written correspondence, phone and in-person.
- Perform all services in a timely, accurate and professional manner, while consistently providing high quality service.
- Assist management in developing more efficient and effective processes and communications.
- Continuously work to create a harmonious work environment with co-workers, administration and the campus community.
- Attend training as requested to enhance skills and perform functions better.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and one (1) year of related experience OR an associate’s degree and three (3) years of related experience OR High School diploma and four (4) years of related experience
- Two years of experience with financial procedures and ability to analyze, detect and reconcile discrepancies in financial records
- As evidenced in application materials: Minimum of one year of experience using automated accounting and financial reporting systems
- As evidenced in application materials: Minimum one (1) year of experience with MS Excel spreadsheets
- Associate’s, Minor or Bachelor's degree or 30 hours of higher education coursework emphasis in business administration, accounting, finance, banking or another related field
- Experience with banking transactions and/or ecommerce
- As evidenced in application materials: Proficient/high level user of MS Excel and database management including creating/development, use of formulas, pivot tables, data manipulation and charts as evidenced by work experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Additional Candidate Instructions
A cover letter addressing how required qualifications are met.
3 Professional References
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Deadline for applications is Monday January, 22nd, 2018.