Adidas Leadership Scholars Peer Mentor- Student Hourly POOL - 10371BR
Adidas Leadership Scholars Peer Mentor- Student Hourly POOL
The Peer Mentor position has two distinct roles. First, the Summer Success Academy where mentors will engage with the Scholars during their time on campus for a six week summer bridge program. Mentors help facilitate a seamless transition to higher education for the scholars through the development of positive relationships, programming, and maintaining open communication. Peer mentors are required to live on-campus with the scholars in university housing during the Summer Success Academy. The Adidas Leadership Scholars program will provide room and board over the summer for peer mentors.
Secondly, during the academic year, the peer mentors will provide one-on-one academic coaching to the scholars. Coaching will focus on helping develop skills in time management, organization and study skills. Mentors will meet with their assigned students once a week for at least a half-hour.
Peer Mentors can expect to work 25-30 hours a week during the summer and 12-15 hours during the academic year.
Program Overview: The KU Adidas Leadership Scholars program is designed for undergraduate students who identity as first generation or who are Pell eligible. The program is designed to provide intentional and proactive student services through academic advising, career coaching, and success coaching for a cohort of students from their first year through graduation. Prior to the fall of their freshmen year, program participants will attend a mandatory six-week Summer Success Academy. Scholars take math and leadership studies courses coupled with programming designed to help with their transition to the institution. The courses are designed to prepare participants for the academic work required of KU students and to jumpstart their academic career at the university.
- Attend and actively engage in a two-week training May 29-June 8 (40 hours a week) as well as ongoing trainings and peer mentor staff meetings throughout employment.
- Participate in Adidas Leadership Scholars Program Success Academy (June 15-July 27, 2018) including but not limited to: implementing social or academic programs, assisting with program orientation, move-in, and move-out.
- Assist students in the program as they transition to college life on the KU campus.
- Serve as a role model; demonstrating good judgement and ethical behavior.
- Create a genuine, empathetic, and accepting atmosphere.
- Meet with your assigned students individually or in small groups on a weekly basis.
- Provide academic success strategies.
- Model and teach effective study tools.
- Act as a resource and refer students to campus services as necessary.
- Maintain ongoing and open communication with Adidas Leadership Scholars professional staff through student meeting notes, staff meetings, emails, etc.
- Provide other duties as deemed necessary to the success of the students.
- Must be willing to live on-campus in the designated university residence hall during the Summer Success Academy (June thru July), cost covered by the program. (No classes, jobs, or time away from the Summer Success Academy without prior approval).
- Current KU undergraduate student (sophomore, junior, or senior status by fall 2018) enrolled in at least six credit hours a semester
- An overall GPA of 2.5 or above (on the 4.0 scale).
- Availability to work both during the summer and through the academic school year (Summer 2018 to Spring 2019).
- Strong written and oral communication skills as evidenced by application materials.
- Ability to multi-task and provide exceptional service.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Some evening and weekends will be required
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative on tasks.
- Ability to establish coach/student working alliance.
- Positive attitude and passion for helping others.
- Ability to work with a diverse team.
- Experience providing academic support to students.
- Active within the KU community.
- Desire to mentor new students and a willingness to share your current or past experience at KU.