ALC Student Tutor - Student Hourly/ Federal Work Study - POOL - 20724BR
ALC Student Tutor - Student Hourly/ Federal Work Study - POOL
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitate and foster student learning by:
- Engaging students in learning course/subject content
- Suggesting appropriate study strategies to learn course/subject content
- Empower students to take ownership for their own learning
- Create an inclusive and safe environment for learning
- Follow the guidelines for tutoring, as established by Tutoring Services
- Attend and participate in trainings and staff development
- Facilitate group meetings using technology, including but not limited to Zoom, as needed
- Prepare and upload preparation documents for each group meeting
- Report student attendance following each group meeting
- Communicate with and respond to updates from the Assistant Director for Tutoring Services
- Distribute student evaluations and complete a tutor reflection at the end of the semester
- Other tasks as assigned
Tutors meet with their students twice per week at set times between 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. in assigned locations on the KU Lawrence campus or online via Zoom. For each meeting, tutors must be available 1.5 hours twice per week. Other tutoring arrangements may be made through coordination with the Assistant Director for Tutoring Services. All ALC tutors are required to attend the Tutor Orientation and Training prior to the start of the semester (if hired before the first day of classes) and a mid semester tutor training. Tutors are strongly encouraged to attend the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) Certification Training early in the semester. Alternative arrangements are made for tutors hired after these trainings have occurred.
- Earned a B or higher in the course(s) selected to tutor at KU or an equivalent course that credit was transferred for from another college institution within the last 4 years; or in a higher-level course in the same discipline, as evidenced by the Degree Progress Report (DPR) or unofficial transcript. Consideration may be given in unique circumstances to students interested in tutoring a course they have not taken, per approval of the Assistant Director for Tutoring Services
- Currently enrolled KU student in at least six credit hours and not on academic probation, as evidenced by the DPR.
- Minimum of 2.5 cumulative GPA as evidenced by the DPR.
- One faculty or instructor reference, one of which can speak to your ability in the subject area in which you hope to tutor, should be submitted to Tutoring Services. Information about this reference can be found at https://learning.ku.edu/tutor-employment.
Additional Candidate Instructions
Access the supplemental application at this link: https://kusurvey.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe /SV_cYezfKevV84WE18 (if the link does not work, submit HR online application and you will be contacted with further instructions)
One completed Faculty/Instructor Reference Form needs to be submitted. We highly recommend that applicants go and speak to their potential references in-person. While a reference may be submitted through email attachment, faculty/instructors are advised to submit the completed reference form to Tutoring Services by online submission at this link: https://kusurvey.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe /SV_1ziwjzyN6DYrbYp (if the link does not work, submit HR online application and you will be contacted with further instructions)