Assistant Director, Career Communities - 11598BR
Assistant Director, Career Communities
This position will conduct one-on-one career coaching appointments; facilitate educational workshops, coordinate large career outreach programs and events; create content for newsletters, meet with faculty, student leaders, alumni and employers, supervise paraprofessional staff; and work on special projects that address the career development needs of KU students. This position reports to the Senior Associate Director of Career Education.
Departmental Description: The University Career Center recognizes the important role it plays in the recruitment, retention, and post-graduate success of the high quality students attending The University of Kansas. Toward that end, we offer a wide range of quality services designed to support and challenge students at all stages of the career development and implementation continuum.
- Coach students about the career planning and employment search implementation process through individual and group appointments.
- Develop specific knowledge about the unique skills and abilities of students involved with assigned Career Community
- Design and present career-related workshops and classroom presentations, including career exploration outreach programs.
- Use discretion and independent judgment while working with confidential and sensitive student information during the coaching process.
- Instruct and guide students on how to reflect on previous experiences, make career-related decisions, and help increase students’ career-related self-efficacy.
- Coordinate a suite of services, programs and resources for assigned Career Community focused on specific career pathways
- Develop and manage campus-wide networking and occupational exploration programs
- Maintain a monthly newsletter that contains specific resources, job and internship listings of interest to students in specific career pathways
- Develop strong partnerships with faculty, alumni, student leaders and employers in order to align resources and information for KU students involved with assigned Campus Community
- Curate specific information of interest to KU students involved with assigned Campus Community
- Supervise and mentor one to two graduate students in their development of career coaching skills.
- Other duties assigned by the Senior Associate Director or Executive Director
- Bachelor's degree with minimum of three years of relevant experience OR Master's with minimum of one year of experience
- Excellent written communication skills as demonstrated by application materials
- One year of teaching, training, or group facilitation experience
- Excellent communication skills and ability to forge new relationships
- Able to work collaboratively with multiple and diverse constituents and campus stakeholders, including faculty, student organization leaders, staff, alumni and employers
- Proven track record of being service-oriented and empathetic
- Demonstrated skills in program development and administration
- Experience that required utilizing independent judgment and tact
- Creative thinker/planner, innovative and idea-rich
- Understanding of career development process/theory
- Proficient in Microsoft Office computer applications and comfortable with web-based software programs
Additional Candidate Instructions
A cover letter addressing how required qualifications are met.
3 Professional References
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Deadline for applications is Sunday, April 22th, 2018.