Assistant Director - 22504BR
Assistant Directors for Jayhawk Academic Advising (JAA) provide supervision and management for a team of academic advisors, grouped by academic interest areas known as Student Pathways. Each position is responsible for the direct supervision of 7-10 academic advisors and works with other assistant directors to contribute to a consistent and standardized advising approach. At least one Assistant Director opening will be dedicated to supervising the work of Academic Success Coaches in a dedicated way. The Assistant Director reports directly to an Associate Director who holds responsibility for oversight of the entire Student Pathway.
- Provide daily supervision of a team of 7-10 major specific, cross-functional, and multi-location academic advisors.
- Ensure advisors meet university milestones and standards as set by the Associate Director and Jayhawk Academic Advising.
- Supervise, evaluate, and track provided onboarding, training and coaching for advisors.
- Consult with other Assistant Directors and Associate Director regarding quality of advising services and implement strategies for their Student Pathway advising cohort appropriately.
- Ensure compliance with all student records and enrollment requirements, FERPA, Financial Aid policies, processes, procedures, etc.
- Track performance metrics for the Student Pathway advising cohort and contributes toward the overall metrics for KU Academic Advising.
- Collect and provide student success and/or academic advisor data as requested.
- As needed, work to provide resolution to student grievances or concerns or escalate as necessary.
- Maintain an assigned caseload of students and serve as a system “super user” to provide adequate support and training to advising staff while also assisting coverage needs.
- Assist in delivering new advisor and ongoing advisor training content.
- Assist in new advising hiring processes.
- Assist Associate Director to review and modify advising policies and workplace practices.
- Represents JAA when called upon by Associate Director.
- Participate in relevant professional development.
- The work schedule for this position will coincide with student needs and traffic. Office Hours vary based on location, student demand, and staffing needs. Advising Services at KU are offered from 8am – 6pm Mon-Friday. Some evening and weekend hours may be required with reasonable advanced notice.
- Hybrid work arrangements are available and will be negotiated upon offer of employment.
- Master’s degree OR Bachelor's degree and 3 years of related experience in a higher education setting.
- Two (2) years of supervisory experience.
- Three (3) years of experience in academic advising and/or admissions/recruitment at an institution of higher education.
- Experience with FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act).
- Strong written communication skills as evidenced by the application materials.
- Master’s degree in Higher Education Administration, Student Personnel or related student development field.
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse student populations in a higher education setting.
- Demonstrated experience supervising full-time professional staff in a student development unit.
- Demonstrated experience working with exploring or undecided populations of students.
- Demonstrated experience with advising analytic systems and advising tools.
- Demonstrated experience with the PeopleSoft Student Records (SR) Module or other student information systems.
Additional Candidate Instructions
In addition to the online application, the following documents are required to be considered for this position:
- A cover letter (addressing how required and preferred qualifications are met)
- Resume or curriculum vitae.
- Contact information for three professional references.
- Application review begins Monday, July 18, 2022 and continues until all positions have been filled.