Assistant Professor in Indigenous Latin American Cultures & Languages - 12996BR
Assistant Professor in Indigenous Latin American Cultures & Languages
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese at the University of Kansas seeks an Assistant Professor in Indigenous Latin American Cultures and Languages for Fall 2019. This position is a full-time, tenure-track, academic-year appointment. The successful candidate must be able to teach in at least one indigenous language of Latin America as well as in Spanish. The faculty member will participate in the teaching mission of the Department of Spanish and Portuguese, including teaching courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels; conduct research in Latin American Literary and Cultural Studies that leads to publication in appropriate outlets; and engage in departmental, College, University, and national service. Ph.D. in Spanish or related field is required by the start date of appointment.
We are interested in applicants committed to transdisciplinary, hemispherical, and/or transregional perspectives in teaching and scholarship, as well as to outreach within the university and the broader community. The Department of Spanish and Portuguese is committed to fostering an inclusive and supportive educational environment for students, faculty and staff. The successful candidate will have experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion in higher education, as well as be eligible to work in the U.S. prior to the start of the position.
The University of Kansas is located in the beautiful, historic, and culturally vibrant city of Lawrence, a thriving community 40 minutes from the Kansas City metropolitan area and 30 minutes from the state capital, Topeka. The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences is the largest school within the campus and plays a central role within the University. Founded in 1865, KU is a designated Carnegie comprehensive doctoral and research university and is one of only 34 public members of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU). The University enrolls more than 28,000 students and offers students and faculty opportunities to collaborate in its graduate and professional programs, which include education, public health, medicine, law, and a number of allied social science and humanities disciplines.
40% - Conduct research in Latin American Indigenous Cultures leading to publication in appropriate outlets.
20% - Engage in unit, College, University, and national service activities.
- Ph.D. in Spanish or related discipline is expected by the start date of appointment (August 18, 2019).
- Academic specialization in Indigenous Latin America.
- Native or near native fluency in English, Spanish and an additional indigenous language of Latin America.
- Demonstrated ability to teach language courses and courses related to indigenous peoples and cultures of Latin America.
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in research as evidenced by graduate coursework, dissertation research, publications, and/or externally funded research grants.
Additional Candidate Instructions
- Please describe your experience, approach or methodologies to create and implement inclusive teaching and advising practices, pedagogical techniques, and course materials.
- Please provide an example outlining how you demonstrate(d) your ongoing commitment in working with diverse groups/populations in your current and/or previous role.
The deadline for applications is November 15, 2018. If you have any questions about this position, please e-mail the Chair of the Search Committee, Professor Araceli Masterson-Algar (firstname.lastname@example.org).