Associate Director of Campus Visits and Events - 22535BR
Associate Director of Campus Visits and Events
The Office of Admissions is responsible for domestic undergraduate admissions for both freshman and transfer students. The Office of Admissions coordinates the overall recruitment strategy for KU including high school and community college relations, on and off campus events, prospect and inquiry management, application processing, transfer credit evaluation and communications.
The Associate Director of Campus Visits and Events, reporting to the Director of Admissions, plays a critical role in the design and implementation of campus visit and event strategies designed to attract and enroll an incoming class of an appropriate size and mix, as defined by university enrollment goals and the university strategic plan. Specifically, this position will be responsible for architecting, implementing and evaluating campus visit and event strategies designed to elevate and enhance KU’s market position and profile. As the campus visit is the most important conversion and yield strategy, this is a mission critical position that is critical to the overall success of the Enrollment Management unit.
As a member of the Admissions senior management team, this position works closely with the Director of Admissions to ensure alignment and integration of recruitment strategies within a data-oriented and results-driven organization. This position is also part of the strategic planning team and the recruitment team responsible for providing admissions counseling as well as small and large group presentations to a variety of external audiences and groups. In this role, this person has direct and indirect supervision of staff and students in the Visit Team area. Some evening and weekend work and occasional travel by car or plane is required.
The visit and recruitment teams will be moving to the Jayhawk Welcome Center in late 2022. The Associate Director of Campus Visits and Events will work with Admissions leadership to determine the best approach to executing the on campus visit experience in this new building.
The role of the Associate Director is both strategic and tactical. The Associate Director will continually evaluate policies and procedures to ensure that the Office of Admissions is following best practices and working efficiently with all other units within the Enrollment Management division. Additionally, the Associate Director will communicate with other Associate Directors, Assistant Directors and staff in the Office of Admissions to implement necessary changes and improvements. A big part of this position is collaborating with campus partners about on-campus visit participation for daily visits, large visit days and off campus events. In summary, this role is responsible for creating on and off campus visit and experiences for students and families designed to ensure conversion and yield rates are sufficient and competitive.
In this role, the Associate Director will:
- Provide daily oversight for the Visits and Events area.
- Develop and implement annual plans and strategies for the area of responsibility that align with the overall division annual plan.
- Communicate regularly with campus partners and with plenty of notice to coordinate visits and events effectively.
- Create, analyze and provide regular reports to the Director of Admissions and appropriate staff regarding progress toward established goals and utilizes data to calibrate, or recalibrate, future strategy. Conduct regular evaluation and assessment of visits and events.
- Choreograph campus visits and events in order to elevate and enhance the experience for prospective students and their families including the overall strategy for large visit days and the daily visit program.
- Ensure strategies, systems and structures are designed to personalize and customize the visit and event experience while successfully managing day-to-day visit details.
- Create efficiencies and leverage functionality in the Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system to improve all aspects of the visit experience (pre-visit, post-visit).
- Maintain knowledge and expertise on all aspects of campus visit and event programming and offers perspective and experience designed to continually enhance and elevate recruitment efforts in Admissions and across campus with KU departments.
As the largest single resource at the institution, staff play an instrumental role in the success of the organization. Therefore, high quality supervision of staff is a critical function of the Associate Director position. The Associate Director will hire, train, and evaluate four full-time positions: two Assistant Directors and two Visit Coordinators. An Event Coordinator, Graduate Assistants and Student Ambassadors are also under this position but are directly supervised by the Assistant Directors. As a supervisor, the Associate Director will:
- Prioritize the activities of visit team staff members.
- Design and implement staff training (or work with the appropriate designated personnel to do so) and monitor need for ongoing training.
- Assist staff in creating goals and professional development paths.
- Provide critical constructive feedback periodically throughout the evaluation period to guide staff performance.
- Conduct evaluations for all staff adhering to university deadlines
- Work with Director and appropriate staff to update centralized position descriptions on a regular basis.
- Recommend changes in position descriptions and/or organizational reporting lines to director.
- Recommend disciplinary action to director and works with Director, Chief of Staff and appropriate HR personnel as needed in disciplinary matters.
In this role, the Associate Director will:
- Prioritize and coordinate programmatic activities and/or projects for Visits and Events and communicate to audiences, stakeholders and end users as needed
- Work with Director to ensure programs and projects fit within scope of the office, Enrollment Management and University vision and goals
- Determine need for new programs and/or projects for area and develops proposals for leadership to determine viability.
- Coordinate training for recruitment staff and campus partners as needed related to programs and/or projects within area of responsibility.
- Ensure that program/project collateral and/or documentation is created and/or updated as needed.
- Regularly evaluate programs and determine if they should be modified, continued as is or discontinued for upcoming cycle.
- In the new Jayhawk Welcome Center, works with Assistant Director to ensure welcome desk is staffed from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. and staff are informed and trained on check-in procedures and visit information.
- Serve as a contact with the Enrollment Management Contact Center, as needed, and makes sure Enrollment Management staff located at the KU Visitor Center are aware of daily visit updates and large visits.
In this role, the Associate Director will:
- Participate in on- and off-campus programs for prospective students and families
- Actively support the campus visit program by serving as the admissions representative on-call, presenting to prospective students and guests, meeting with walk-in office visitors and responding to telephone and email inquiries.
- Recognize the impact of communication opportunities and effectively guide and shape the development, delivery and timing of messages to maximize visit and event attendance; review printed materials related to visits and events; approve presentation content.
Other responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Admissions.
- Master's or Bachelor's degree plus five years related experience.
- Experience in coordinating events as evidenced in application materials.
- Experience supervising professional staff as evidenced by application materials.
- Strong written communication skills as evidenced by application materials.
- At least three months experience with public speaking as evidenced by application materials.
- Valid Driver's License or ability to obtain one at the time of appointment.
- Master's degree.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data to evaluate the impact of the campus visit and off campus events.
- Professional experience working in a data-oriented and results-driven admission office.
- Experience coordinating events at a college or university.
- Strong attention-to-detail as evidenced by event coordination experience.
- Knowledge of KU's academic programs and support services as evidenced by a KU degree or previous position at KU.
- Experience establishing and maintaining strong partnerships with constituents.
- Direct experience working with diverse student populations, including low-income, first generation, geographic regions, ethnic groups, elementary school, middle school, high school and non-traditional students.
- Ability to effectively organize time and tasks.
- Understanding of CRM philosophy as well as familiarity with CRM technologies.
- Program assessment/evaluation.
Additional Candidate Instructions
A cover letter addressing how required qualifications are met
3 Professional References
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Application review will begin Tuesday, July 5th, 2022 and will remain open until a qualified pool of candidates has been identified.