Associate Director First Year Experience - 13117BR
Associate Director First Year Experience
The Office of First-Year Experience is a unit within Undergraduate Studies.
- Develops an intentional, coordinated, and high-impact orientation experience for students across pre-orientation activities and face-to-face orientation programs.
- Coordinates the planning, promotion, implementation, and assessment of orientation for freshman and transfer students.
- Works collaboratively with International Programs to design early orientation experiences to connect domestic and international students and to ensure consistency in practices and shared experiences across orientation programs.
- Works with Enrollment Management and the Office of Institutional Research and Planning to produce and use data to shape orientation programs to best serve the needs of students.
- Guides the innovative use of technology to enhance the orientation program.
- Furthers the development of online orientation modules to augment and complement face-to-face programs.
- Develops innovative strategies to introduce and promote First-Year Experience initiatives, such as KU Common Book and seminars and learning communities, as part of orientation.
- Provides direction for the First-Year Experience social media communication plan and other electronic and print outreach materials.
- Provides and tracks enrollment outreach from orientation through the 20th day of classes. Develops strategies to enhance post-orientation communication and reduce enrollment melt.
- Supervises an assistant director and two graduate assistants.
- Contributes to the hiring and professional development of the orientation student staff team.
- Contributes to national conversations about orientation programs and related efforts to enhance the First-Year experience.
60% Provide leadership for the planning, promotion, implementation, and assessment of orientation programs for freshman and transfer students. Oversee the development of online modules to support and enhance face-to-face programs. Manage all aspects of program design and the master calendar for orientation programs and related events. Ensure smooth coordination of effort among participating academic and student support related units. Develop strategies to enhance collaboration and shared resources across the domestic and international orientation programs. Contribute to national conversations about orientation programs and related efforts to enhance the first-year experience.
20% Oversee the production of outreach materials for orientation, including print, electronic, and social media communications. Ensure the development of high quality and creative materials to support First-Year Experience programs, including the orientation field guide, website, confirmation materials, and training materials for program staff.
10% Serve as the First-Year Experience liaison to the Office of Admissions and Scholarships. Attend quarterly recruitment meetings. Coordinate staff participation in recruitment events, including Junior Days, Crimson and Blue Day, Destination KU, and Jayhawk Nights.
10% Teach one section of UNIV 101, KU’s orientation seminar, each year.
- Master’s degree plus a minimum of three years experience in progressively responsible administrative positions working with undergraduate students.
- Minimum two years experience collaborating with faculty and staff.
- Minimum two years supervisory experience.
- Minimum two years experience with student program development, implementation, and evaluation.
- Excellent written communication skills as demonstrated in the application materials.
- Direct experience with first-year programming.
- Demonstrated skills in design, development, and the production of materials for academic programs and promotional information.
- Demonstrated experience with relevant computerized student information and communication systems.
- Advising experience with undergraduate students.
- Teaching experience with undergraduate students.
Additional Candidate Instructions
A cover letter addressing how required qualifications are met.
3 Professional References
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Deadline for Applications is Sunday, November 25th, 2018.