Associate General Counsel (Located at KU Med Campus) - 15991BR
Associate General Counsel (Located at KU Med Campus)
The Associate General Counsel is responsible for providing legal support to the University of Kansas. This position will involve work on regulatory and research matters involving the University, including cyber-security and data privacy issues, federal and state breach notification requirements, use of technology in research, and other regulatory matters involving research and healthcare. Other legal support will include, but not be limited to drafting and reviewing both routine and non-routine contracts and other non-litigation legal documents involving the University; advising administrators, faculty, staff and others on federal and state laws and regulations and Kansas Board of Regents’ and University policies and procedures.
The successful candidate will be primarily located at KU’s Medical Center campus in Kansas City, Kansas, but will be responsible for regulatory and research matters on all campuses (Lawrence, Kansas City, Wichita, and Salina, Kansas).
- Advise administrators, faculty and staff on regulatory and research matters, including cyber-security and data privacy, data management plans, and data flows for research trials.
- Draft, review and negotiate both routine and non-routine contracts including but not limited to software and information technology contracts and other non-litigation legal documents.
- Work in close collaboration with Compliance as it advises administrators, faculty, staff and others on federal and state laws and regulations and Kansas Board of Regents’ and University policies and procedures.
- Participate on interdisciplinary committees involving information technology and data use which may include stakeholders from the University and the University of Kansas Health System.
- Collaborate with various associates and stakeholders on contractual matters or other university business.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Degree from an accredited, American law school.
- Current license to practice law in Kansas, or eligibility for admission within three months of hire.
- Knowledge of privacy and security laws.
- Knowledge of contract law and principles and practices of contract preparation and negotiation.
- At least three years’ experience representing clients through contract negotiations and advising clients on laws, rules, regulations, and policies.
- Strong academic credentials and Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience with research regulatory and compliance matters.
- Familiarity with information technology/information resources and contract negotiations related to the acquisition of IT-related software, cloud services, etc.
- Experience representing institutions of higher education, health care organizations, or government entities; and graduated within the top 25% of law school class.