Asst/Assoc Professor in Contemporary Global Hispanophone Studies - 20450BR
Asst/Assoc Professor in Contemporary Global Hispanophone Studies
The Department is seeking a scholar and teacher with a strong expertise in the comparative and transnational study of Hispanic culture and literature across two or more regions of the world, including Latin America, the Iberian Peninsula, Africa, and the Pacific region. This includes fields such as transatlantic studies, diaspora studies, and Afro-Hispanic literatures and cultures. The primary focus of the position is the contemporary period, but we are also interested in scholars with a long historical perspective who take into account the legacy of imperialism and colonialism.
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese, founded in 1918, has a long-established strength in research and Graduate Education. KU is a major comprehensive research and teaching university that serves as a center for learning, scholarship, and creative endeavor for more than 28,000 students and 2,800 faculty. Founded in 1865, KU is a designated Carnegie comprehensive doctoral research university and one of only 34 public members of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU).
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese seeks candidates who share our department’s continued commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging, and who are capable of promote global cultural awareness. In an effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal education and employment opportunities, the university actively encourages applications from members of groups underrepresented in higher education. The successful candidate must be eligible to work in the U.S. by the effective date of the appointment.
- Teach 4 courses per academic year; including required or elective courses at the undergraduate and graduate level.
- Hold regular office hours.
- Participate in the academic advising and mentoring of undergraduate and graduate students.
- Maintain an active research program.
- Engage in professional activities and conference presentations
- Publish research findings in appropriate scholarly outlets.
- Actively contribute to the department and university community by serving on departmental, College, and/or University committees.
- Participate in professional service.
All faculty members are expected to act in a manner that promotes collegial relationships and shows respect toward students, staff, and colleagues. Faculty members are expected to meet satisfactory standards of performance in all three areas of responsibility and to carry out those responsibilities in accordance with the Faculty Code of Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct.
- A PhD in Spanish (or related field such as Comparative Literature) by the start date of the position.
- Native or near-native fluency in Spanish.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belong in research and teaching as evidenced by application materials, interview process, and reference statements.
- A demonstration for high potential in research and publications as evidenced by application materials and/or research statement.
- Evidence of the potential to teach courses online and in-person at the undergraduate and graduate level as evidenced by teaching statements, student evaluations, syllabi, etc.
- A proven record for high potential in research and publications as evidenced by application materials and/or research statement.
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching courses online and in-person at the undergraduate and graduate level as evidenced by teaching statements, student evaluations, syllabi, etc.
Additional Candidate Instructions
In addition to the materials above, learning about each applicant's contribution and engagement in areas of diversity is an important part of KU's mission. As a result, applicants will be presented the following question at the time of application. The response must be within 4,000 characters or less.
- Describe your experience working with people from diverse backgrounds, and explain how those experiences reflect your commitments to diversity, equity and inclusion.