Berkley Education Intern - 11996BR
Berkley Education Intern
Interns will participate in a full range of professional staff activities. They will also have the opportunity to conceptualize and write for gallery installations and exhibitions when the exhibition schedule allows. All interns will assist with a variety of departmental duties in order to gain broad understanding of museum operations, including attending various staff meetings and assisting at the visitor services desk.
Education Intern Description:
The Education Intern works with the education staff to develop and implement programming for community audiences, university students, and museum/school partnerships.
- Assist in preparing materials for docent training, attending bi-monthly meetings, and train to give tours.
- Assist education staff in the development of museum interpretives both digital and analog
- Assist in developing youth & family programs such as the monthly Art Cart
- Assist with the Classroom Collection and other school outreach initiatives.
- Participate in and organize additional outreach programming.
- Attend Museum and departmental meetings.
- Other duties as specified.
- Must be a University of Kansas graduate student seeking a master's or Ph.D. degree.
- Enrolled in six credit hours of graduate coursework or at least one hour of thesis/dissertation (approval form from graduate program required).
- Fluency in spoken and written English as evidenced by application materials and interview.
- Demonstrated computer competency (Office, Outlook, databases, web skills).
- Must have a flexible schedule and be available to work weekends and after hours if needed.
- Routinely lift storage boxes weighing 20-40 lbs with or without assistance.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Flexibility, creativity, and initiative.
- Interest in object-based teaching and learning.
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with museum staff.
- Specialized skills in design, desktop publishing, and/or social media.
- Interest in a museum career is taken into consideration.
Additional Candidate Instructions
****Deadline to apply is Saturday, June 30, 2018.
Please provide the following information in your application materials (CV and cover letter), attached as one document, PDF preferred.
- The Spencer Museum of Art currently has multiple internship opportunities available beginning August 2018 through July 2019. Please rank in order of preference which internship you prefer to be considered for.
- Museum or related career goals.
- Educational experience in relevant fields of study.
- Work experience.
- Brief writing sample.
- Language skills.
- Other skills such as computer use, database experience, matting and framing.
- Provide telephone number and email address where you can be reached.
- This position is also eligible to participate in the university health insurance program. Visit http://policy.ku.edu/graduate-studies/benefits-for-GRAs-GTAs-GAs for more information.
- Students may apply for one or more positions.
- Students who previously have held an SMA internship are also eligible to apply again for the same internships or different internship.
- Interns are also eligible for a $1,000 travel stipend.
- SMA interns qualify for in-state tuition and fee rates.