CAO SSC Finance Manager - 10984BR
CAO SSC Finance Manager
To manage the day-to-day finance activities and supervise finance staff in the SSC, we are conducting a search for a SSC Finance Manager for the Campus Administration & Operations SSC. This full-time position will be responsible for building relationships with the units served, supervising the daily financial and accounting business processes of the SSC, and supporting a culture centered on delivering excellent customer service.
This position will ensure that SSC finance staff provide timely and professional services that support and enhance the instructional, research and service goals of the units served. The SSC Finance Manager will be expected to maintain successful relationships and frequent communication with Deans, Directors, Chairs and PIs of academic, administrative, or research units. The SSC Finance Manager will make decisions on duty assignments to ensure that the method of processing financial transactions is compliant with University, State and Federal Guidelines. This position is also responsible for establishing and monitoring internal control procedures.
This position will report to the SSC Director. It will be the SSC Finance Manager’s duty to work with the SSC Director to implement strategic plans for improving processes and services. The SSC Finance Manager will also be accountable to central financial offices to ensure the implementation of financial policies and processes and that staff are adequately trained. The SSC Finance Manager will also be accountable to the units served for the services outlined in the Service Level Commitment (SLC).
- Guides and directs activities for assigned finance staff.
- Manages cross-functional activities of finance staff, including oversight of all accounting and financial management related functions.
- Trains staff in functional accounting, financial management skills, including optimizing the use of systems and reporting.
- Works with staff to maintain compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Works with central finance offices and other SSCs, evaluates opportunities to enhance existing processes or provide improved service to client units.
- Works with Process Improvement and Training Committees as needed to implement process design changes or system updates.
- Performs financial transaction and analytical work for the units served, able to serve as a back-up as needed and serve as a resource for SSC staff working through challenging transactions.
- Oversees staff work and ensures procedures are consistent with policy; monitors relationships with assigned departments and centers to ensure high levels of satisfaction.
- Addresses personnel needs of the SSC finance staff by working with central units to promote financial training and hire new employees.
- Addresses SSC audit findings to improve compliance and accuracy of transaction processing.
- CAO SSC representative for external and internal compliance audits. Works with central finance offices on all external compliance audits.
- Coordinates with leaders of departments or research centers.
- Ensures service levels are met or exceeded, based on the Service Level Commitment.
- Meets with assigned departments and centers on a quarterly and as-needed basis.
- Addresses unique concerns or needs of assigned departments and centers.
- Resolves disputes and takes corrective action.
- Reports to the Campus Administration and Operations SSC Director.
- Shares progress reports and status updates.
- Informs SSC Director of service or staff issues and necessary steps needed or taken to address them.
- Performs related duties such as conducting staff meetings, preparing written instructions for work assignments, resolving disputes and preparing narratives and statistical reports.
20% Problem Resolution
- Answers all finance-related questions for the areas served.
- Escalates questions and problems as appropriate to the SSC Director or appropriate central financial offices.
5% Policy Development and Dissemination/Training
- Partners with central finance staff to develop and present information and training sessions on university financial policies and procedures and budget management techniques. Provides information in a variety of formats, including individual training, workshop type sessions, and seminars to financial officers, deans, directors, chairs, vice provosts and other interested staff as requested.
- Coordinates with Central Finance on the interpretation and communication of financial policies, systems, procedures, and programs.
- Bachelor's degree plus a minimum four years related professional-level work experience OR a high school degree/GED plus a minimum of eight years of related management experience.
- Minimum of one year of supervisory experience.
- Computer skills in a PC/Windows environment including MS Word and MS Excel as demonstrated by application materials and previous experience.
- Excellent written communication skills and attention to detail as demonstrated by application materials.
- CPA or Master's degree in Business Administration, or a related field.
- Experience using a financial ERP, e.g. Oracle.
- Experience with fund accounting.
- Two years supervisory experience over full time staff.
- Experience creating training materials and manuals.
- Strong understanding of, and experience with, process mapping and process improvement.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills, including experience researching and analyzing complex data to develop accurate reports, identifying valid solutions, forecasting consequences of proposed action and implementing a course of action.
- Ability to work independently in a team environment, to take ownership of the resolution of problems, be flexible and accountable, manage conflicting responsibilities, prioritize tasks and consistently meet deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, administrative staff and students in a higher education environment.
- Strong people and team management experience.
Additional Candidate Instructions
Apply by the priority date of February 26, 2018 for best consideration. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.