Chicago Regional Representative - 22783BR
Chicago Regional Representative
The Office of Admissions is responsible for domestic undergraduate admissions for freshman and transfer students. The Office of Admissions coordinates the overall recruitment strategy for KU, including travel, on and off-campus events, prospect data entry, application processing, transfer credit evaluation, and communications.
A key member of the admissions team, the Chicago Regional Admissions Representative must have a passion for the University of Kansas, be highly motivated, goal-oriented, and be able to articulate the values and objectives of the University of Kansas to attract, recruit, admit and enroll a high quality and diverse student population within a targeted geography to meet the enrollment goals of KU. The admissions team is highly trained in university information, recruitment tactics, and diversity/social justice work to provide the highest level of service and understanding of students from various backgrounds, interests, and experiences. The Chicago Regional Admissions Representative position is a combination of people-facing responsibilities and effectively managing administrative tasks. This position reports to the Assistant Director for Freshmen Recruitment.
The Chicago Regional Admissions Representative position is a 10-month contract from mid-July through mid-May and is based in a residential office within the Chicago metro area, traveling primarily within the Chicago metro area, with other Illinois or out of state travel, as needed. Regional representative positions in the Office of Admissions are on leave, with benefits, for the two-months outside of the contract dates.
Duties include communicating daily and building relationships both in person and virtually with prospective students and families and school counselors, managing correspondence, coordinating on- and off-campus recruitment responsibilities, and organizing a travel schedule. Admissions representatives are responsible for interpreting data to tailor outreach efforts to students in assigned territories to elevate KU’s market position and profile. Extensive travel may be required within the representative’s recruitment territories. Evening and weekend work may be required at certain recruitment cycle times. Personal KU experience and general knowledge of the university are preferred.
Candidates from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged to apply. The University of Kansas offers generous time off, retirement matching, medical/dental/vision coverage, wellness incentives, and tuition reimbursement.
- Utilizes in-person and digital strategies to recruit prospective students in a defined territory, meeting and exceeding goals when opportunities exist.
- Analyzes data and past productivity to devise, implement, and assess recruitment plans and strategies in the assigned territory, including visiting high schools, attending college fairs, area receptions, and events.
- Uses institutional recruitment philosophy to communicate KU academic programs, processes, and services to a wide range of prospective students and families.
- Advises students and families of admission and scholarship requirements and/or transfer guidelines.
- Manages multiple communication channels and provides timely responses with prospective students and families, i.e., manages personal Outlook email account for office-based communication in coordination with a separate platform system to communicate with students and families, answer inbound calls, make outbound calls, create, and respond to text messages via the CRM.
- Manage Outlook calendar to maximize efficiency in travel, meetings, expense reports, and other business operations.
- Provides reports of recruitment efforts and territory application progress to recruitment leadership.
- Manages an assigned recruitment budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Provides in-person and virtual presentations in a central public speaking role to small and large groups of prospective students, families, and high school counselors; communicates KU’s competitive advantage within primary residential market & other assigned out of state territories.
- Participates in territory-specific event programming (i.e. college fairs and information nights) designed to develop a student pipeline of the necessary size and shape to achieve University enrollment goals.
- Assists in planning and execution of off-campus Office of Admissions special events and programs for prospective students, families and high school counselors, coordinating and hosting with university students, staff, and alumni. Assists in some on-campus event planning and execution.
- Serves in an on-call capacity to assist in managing general admissions email and phone inquiries.
- Plans and executes individual meetings with prospective students and families virtually and in person within residential & assigned territories.
- Participates and assists in planning regional admissions organization events and programs for prospective students, families and high school counselors/education consultants, expanding KU presence and elevating KU’s market position.
- Consults with the Assistant Director of Freshmen Recruitment and the Senior Associate Director of Freshmen Recruitment regarding recruitment strategies on topics including, but not limited to, pipeline development, programming, recruitment strategies, messaging, and presentations.
- Participates in and occasionally leads on-campus training and events. Travel to the Lawrence campus for events and training, when necessary.
- Assumes other responsibilities assigned by the Assistant Directors, Associate Directors, or Director.
- A residential office based in the primary market of the assigned recruitment territory is required. (The Chicago metro area is the primary market for this position.)
- The ability to travel by automobile or plane to any city or region assigned.
- Overnight travel and some evening and weekend work are occasionally required.
- Bachelor's degree
- One year of professional experience. **Two years of graduate assistant/internship work is considered equal to one year of professional experience**
- Valid/current driver's license or ability to obtain one by the time of appointment.
- Strong written communication skills as evidenced by application materials.
- Prior presentation experience (evidenced by coursework, extra-curricular activities, or professional presentations).
- Familiarity with Chicago area markets and state of Illinois.
- Work experience at the University of Kansas, Office of Admissions or related office.
- Knowledge of academic programs and support services at the University of Kansas.
- Proven experience exercising initiative, decision-making and self-discipline.
- Ability to work with diverse student populations, including transfer, high-ability, low-income, first-generation, geographic regions, ethnic groups, middle school, high school, and non-traditional students.
- Experience with strategic student recruitment from inquiry through application including ability to build qualified inquiry pool.
- Experience working in a data-oriented and results driven admission or industry office.
- Professional experience in admissions, related higher education area, public relations, marketing, or advertising.
- Ability to effectively organize time and tasks.
- Passion for working in teams in a fast-paced environment and for the University of Kansas.
Additional Candidate Instructions
- A cover letter addressing how required qualifications are met
- 3 Professional References
- Application review will begin Thursday, August 4th and will remain open until a qualified pool of candidates has been identified.