Communications Coordinator - 22446BR
This is a full-time, 12-month, staff position and is currently designated as an on-campus position. Office will be located in beautiful Capitol Federal Hall, a 166,500 square foot modern facility that the School of Business has called home since 2016. Alternative and flexible work schedules will be evaluated as per KU policy and School guidelines.
Position is benefits eligible. KU offers excellent benefits to employees including generous retirement contributions, paid leave, insurance, and various discount programs. Full details are available at: https://humanresources.ku.edu/benefits. The successful candidate must have appropriate authorization to work in the U.S. before employment begins.
In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, the university actively encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups in higher education.
- Plans, writes, and edits content to promote undergraduate and graduate programs, including student recruitment materials
- Leads social media strategies and messaging to highlight School of Business news, stories, and events and to successfully engage student audiences
- Assists in community management of School of Business audiences across digital channels
- Regularly writes stories highlighting student, faculty, and staff accomplishments to elevate the business school’s brand and visibility
- Manages marketing and communications projects, including print materials and digital campaigns
- Assists in content management of School of Business website and other web properties
- Assists in creating communication plans for recruitment and retention
- Writes and edits news and feature stories
- Works with communications director and school leadership to develop and distribute publications
- Other content marketing needs as assigned
30% Events Marketing
- Develops promotional materials for School of Business events, including event registration forms, print materials and social media campaigns in coordination with school’s graphic designer
- Develops press releases for School of Business events
- Manages and maintains School of Business events calendar across school’s website in coordination with events director
- Pitches to media regarding upcoming School of Business events and speakers
20% Special Projects Management and Miscellaneous
- Assists communications director in administrative responsibilities for communications team, including budget allocation, project management, and duties as assigned
- Supervises student communications employee(s)
- Advises communications project requests as presented by faculty and staff
- Participates as active member of School of Business staff, including attending business school staff and faculty assembly meetings
- Participates in school and university wide committees and groups as requested
- Completes other job-related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, strategic communication, English, marketing, or public relations
- At least one year of professional experience in strategic writing, marketing communications or content development, or related professional experience
- Strong computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office; experience with Adobe Creative Suite as demonstrated on application materials
- Demonstrated knowledge of AP style based on application materials
- One year of experience managing social media for an organization
- One year of experience using content management system to update web content
- Experience writing feature stories and/or news coverage of academic research
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience managing multiple projects and meeting deadlines
- Experience with Drupal content management system
Additional Candidate Instructions
4) complete contact information for three professional references; 5) attach/upload three samples that demonstrate your ability to write news and feature stories (particularly those showing your work with interviewing and researching background information).
Application review will begin on June 24 and will continue until a pool of qualified applicants is received.