Communications Specialist (Part-Time) - 22576BR
Communications Specialist (Part-Time)
In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, the university actively encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups in higher education.
KU offers a competitive benefits package that includes options for health, vision, dental, and life insurance, as well as a mandatory retirement plan that begins after one year of employment. Unclassified Professional Staff receives generous paid leave including nine federal holidays, one discretionary day, and vacation and sick leave. More information is available at benefits.ku.edu.
- 25% Assist with managing website content for biodiversity.ku.edu. Note: The site is being updated currently and will relaunch this summer on the KU CMS (Drupal).
- 25% Assist with content creation for and management of the BI/NHM’s social media channels, which currently include Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- 20% Create print and digital graphics for the website, social media, posters, flyers, postcards, and other promotional materials.
- 20% Share BI/NHM news and events with communities:
- Post BI/NHM events to community calendars.
- Assist with the creation and distribution of BI/NHM e-newsletters for internal and external audiences.
- Maintain newsletter subscriber database
- 10% Other duties as assigned by the Communications Coordinator.
- Hybrid- The position will be a combination of telework and on-site work.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, public relations, marketing, communications, graphic design, or other relevant fields.
- At least one year of related professional experience.
- Excellent writing skills and command of AP style, as evidenced by application materials.
- Excellent organizational skills as evidenced by application materials.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator as evidenced by application materials.
- Previous experience working with and creating content for diverse groups.
- Three or more years of related professional experience.
- Experience managing social media for a brand or organization, including a solid understanding of image and accessibility best practices.
- Experience with e-newsletter platforms such as MailChimp, Constant Contact, etc.
- Interest in biological sciences, museums, or other relevant areas.
- Excellent oral communication skills as evidenced by interview.
- Professional experience at a large, public research institution or museum/cultural institution.
- Website experience working with Drupal, WordPress, or another Content Management System (CMS).
- Master’s degree in journalism, public relations, marketing, communications, graphic design or relevant field.
Additional Candidate Instructions
- Online application
- Cover letter outlining your interest and how your skills and experience would contribute to the position and meet the required qualifications.
- Contact information for three professional references
- Three samples of graphic design work or link to portfolio. You may add up to two additional works such as a writing sample, social media content, etc if you choose.