Communications Specialist - School of Law - 22421BR
Communications Specialist - School of Law
The Communications Specialist helps tell the KU Law story through the law school’s website, blog, social media channels and publications. The Communications Specialist collects, prepares and disseminates news about the school, writing and creating content for a variety of audiences through digital platforms, printed and electronic publications, advertising, media relations and school-sponsored events. The ideal candidate will be an excellent writer, strong proofreader and creative storyteller who has experience in graphic design, website management, photography and video creation.
This is a regular, full-time (1.0 FTE), benefits eligible, unclassified position.
- Write and report news releases, features and blog posts on a variety of subjects, including law school programs, student/faculty/staff accomplishments, alumni profiles, etc.
- Write, report and conduct research for stories in the KU Law Magazine and other publications produced by the school, the university and others. Additional content generation may include shooting and editing photography and video.
- Create, source and manage content for the KU Law Blog, including writing, editing and graphics. Collaborate with and edit content from contributing writers, including law school students, faculty, staff and alumni.
- Routinely contribute ideas and content for websites, social media, newsletters and other school, university and external publications as needed.
- Maintain relationships with various law school offices and programs – such as Career Services, Admissions, Moot Court, International and Comparative Law and others – to develop messaging and generate content for internal and external audiences.
- Track rankings, accomplishments and media coverage of the school, faculty, students and alumni for cross-channel promotion.
- Assist with designing print and electronic materials as needed.
- Maintain and manage content on the KU School of Law website (law.ku.edu), in KU’s new content management system, in collaboration with the Director of External Affairs. Serve as a contact for updates across the site, maintaining news feeds and events calendars, and ensuring overall accuracy, consistency and brand alignment.
- Oversee website analytics and produce regular reports.
- Identify and assist with opportunities to produce multimedia pieces for KU School of Law platforms, including video.
- Assist with management of social media channels, including editorial calendar for social media posts, graphics and copy for posts, engagement with audiences, updates to look and feel, and strategic campaigns.
- Produce e-newsletters for law school centers and programs on a consistent schedule. Projects include annual and semi-annual newsletters for the Wheat Law Library, International & Comparative Law Program and the Tribal Law & Government Center.
- Create electronic invitations and RSVP forms for School of Law events.
- Continually analyze the effectiveness of digital communications methods and recommend ways to enhance the school’s electronic presence.
- Develop promotional materials, place advertising, contact media and campus partners, and lend support at events and public relations activities hosted by the school, including live and virtual events.
- Assist with taking photographs and/or video as might be required for events and activities.
- Attend and contribute to events team meetings and event planning sessions.
- Assist with the ongoing development of the law school’s strategic communications plan as it relates to communications materials and activities, and perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, English or relevant field.
- Minimum of 1 year of related experience.
- Excellent writing skills, demonstrated by prior work or classwork.
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience developing, reporting or writing feature stories and news coverage for various audiences.
- Experience with managing multiple detail-oriented projects on tight deadlines.
- Strong computer skills, preferably with experience in Microsoft Office and using Adobe Creative Suite – especially Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere Pro and/or Illustrator – for creating graphics and video.
- Experience creating and managing content for a range of social media platforms.
- Experience writing and maintaining information on a website using a content management system.
- Experience with email marketing platforms.
- Experience shooting and editing photo and video.
- Experience with analysis and usage of Google Analytics.
- Familiarity with the University of Kansas, the School of Law and/or area media outlets.
Additional Candidate Instructions
- Completed online application.
- A cover letter explaining your interest in the position and an assessment of your skills related to the required and preferred qualifications.
- A list of three professional references.
- A writing sample. Candidates may also include additional work samples, such as print and digital design, social media content, etc.
Review of applications will begin on June 20, 2022 and will continue until a suitable candidate is selected. To ensure priority consideration, apply by the review date.
Contact Information to Applicants
Advertised Salary Range
Occasional after hours work to cover law school events and activities for marketing and communication purposes.