Communications Specialist - 22854BR
The communications specialist’s role is critical in connecting students to the program’s curricular and co-curricular opportunities, as well as its supportive community of faculty mentors, staff, past students, and peers. In addition to facilitating student participation in the honors program, communications will depict the life of the program and express its values, as they will often reach prospective students, their families, donors, and other key audiences.
KU offers a competitive benefits package that includes options for health, vision, dental, and life insurance, as well as a mandatory retirement plan that begins after one year of employment. Paid leave for unclassified professional staff includes generous vacation leave, sick leave, and one discretionary day. More information is available at benefits.ku.edu.
In its effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal employment opportunities, KU actively encourages applications from members of underrepresented populations.
- Create the program’s weekly e-newsletter, Honors Weekly, a project that includes the selection and creation of written and visual content, assembly of the layout, internal circulation of test emails, revision based on feedback, and deployment.
- Develop and send scheduled programming-related emails, including periodic digest-style communications for Take Care Tuesdays, Living in Color, and Common Cause.
- Assist with individual messages regarding advising, enrollment, awards, building closures, urgent issues, and other important student updates.
- Develop a social media strategy collaboratively with the communications manager.
- Maintain a content calendar detailing all planned posts, including promotion of upcoming opportunities, key dates and deadlines, past activities, and campaigns also intended for program alumni, friends, partners, and prospective students.
- Create and post content on time and across all active channels using native applications and integrated platforms like Constant Contact or Hootsuite.
- Measure social media activity for effectiveness and apply insights to future efforts.
- Serve as community moderator for program’s social media channels.
- Research and recommend new platforms or features.
- Attend live and virtual activities, including convocations, graduate recognition ceremonies, Orientation sessions, social activities, symposia, speakers, and programming-related events. (Some of these events will take place in the evenings or on weekends.).
- Document events for communications needs and post to social media.
- Assist with event logistics as needed.
- Draft articles highlighting notable program news and achievements, coordinating and performing research and interviews when required.
- Respond to edits and feedback in a timely fashion and based on expressed deadlines.
- Acquire relevant imagery or photography for use in articles.
- Act as an application reviewer and awards judge as assigned by the program’s assistant director of admissions and director, respectively.
- Crosstrain with assistant director of admissions on recruitment presentations and serve as presenter when necessary.
- This is a hybrid position that allows for up to two days of remote work per week.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, public relations, marketing, communications, graphic design, or other relevant fields and at least one year of related professional experience.
- Excellent communication skills as evidenced by application materials.
- Excellent organizational skills as evidenced by application materials.
- Previous experience working with and crafting communications for diverse groups as evidenced by application materials.
- Master’s degree in journalism, public relations, marketing, communications, graphic design, or other relevant fields.
- Command of AP style as evidenced by application materials.
- Experience developing, deploying, and measuring the success of social media content.
- Experience with design and photo editing software, such as Adobe Creative Suite.
- Familiarity with Drupal, WordPress, or another web content management system.
- Familiarity with email marketing platforms such as Constant Contact or Mailchimp.
Additional Candidate Instructions
- Online application.
- Cover letter outlining your interest and how your skills and experience would contribute to the position and meet the required qualifications.
- Résumé with relevant experience.
- Contact information for three professional references.
Application review begins Aug. 22, 2022 and continues until a qualified pool of applicants is identified.