Custodian (11pm-7:30am) - 21828BR
Facilities include the Ambler Student Recreation Fitness Center (“ASRFC”), opened in September 2003 and expanded in 2008, several outside spaces. The ASRFC is comprised of many different activity spaces: 16,000 square feet of cardiovascular resistance training and free weight equipment, six indoor basketball/volleyball courts, a three-lane suspended jogging track, an aerobics studio, a martial arts studio, four racquetball courts, one squash court, dasher board system multipurpose gym, golf simulator, a 42-foot climbing wall and bouldering wall, two outdoor basketball courts, conference room, and a multimedia room. Outdoor facilities include: 13 acres of grass field spaces at the Shenk Recreational Sports Complex, the Adams Outdoor Education Center (challenge course), one artificial turf field (Central Field), four lighted sand volleyball courts, and four lighted tennis courts. KU Recreation Services utilizes the Robinson Center for its aquatic activities.
Programs within KU Recreation Services include Fitness, Intramurals, Sport Clubs, and Outdoor Pursuits. Fitness offers group fitness (“KU Fit”) with classes focused on cardio, strength, and mind and body, Personal Training, and Fitness Assessments. Intramurals play team sports, team tournaments, and individual activities. Sport Clubs participate in a wide variety of competitive, recreational, and instructional sports. Outdoor Pursuits offer a challenge course, rock climbing wall, and an equipment rental center.
This position is responsible for performing routine overnight, 11pm-7:30am (Tuesday night – Sunday Morning), custodial work in the Ambler Student Recreation Fitness Center. The position will serve on a team of four custodians and a working supervisor and will require work on the weekends. Employee sweeps and mops floors, vacuums carpeted areas, dusts, cleans offices, classrooms, cleans/disinfects restrooms, collects and removes trash. Cleans exterior entrances and emergency exits to Ambler, including shoveling snow/ice removal in the winter months as needed.
- Cleaning duties occur in the following spaces: gyms, weight room, climbing wall, aerobics studio, arena, martial arts room, office, meeting room, hallways, stairways, elevators, entrances, and exteriors.
- Mops (dust/wet) spots and stains on tile areas and floor mats.
- Cleans glass, mirrors, and dry erase boards.
- Cleans/Dusts/ disinfects water fountains, window ledges, hand railings, display cases and furniture etc.
- Spot cleans wall, doors, door handles, jams, and kick plates.
- Empties trash and cleans containers to replace with liners.
- Vacuums, bonnets, and extracts carpeted areas using appropriate equipment and chemicals.
- Checks and maintains exterior areas, accessible ramps and equipment, elevator cabs and doors, etc.
- Strips floors, chemical detergent scrubs in non-carpeted areas.
- Burnishes tile floors, bonnets and deep extracts carpeted areas.
- Cleans and maintains specialty floors such as wood, tile, etc. using a variety of automatic equipment.
- Cleans exterior entrances daily, removing snow and ice when necessary.
- Cleans and disinfects sinks, stools, urinals, sanitary napkin receptacles and trash containers.
- Cleans and polishes fixtures, wet mops floors, dusts and cleans all surfaces.
- Replaces soap and paper goods. Cleans floor drains and adds water according to established schedule.
- Scrubs walls, detergent scrubs floors with semi-automatic scrubbing equipment.
- Remains knowledgeable concerning proper use and purposes of chemicals, the proper mixing of chemicals, and associated safety procedures to avoid injury to self, others, and equipment damage.
- Includes but not limited to locking and unlocking building doors, reports building repair needs and concerns to supervisor.
- Assists with snow removal and surface treatment.
- Performs other assigned duties
- Carry up to 20 pounds constantly and up to 50 pounds occasionally with or without accommodation.
- Available to work overnight shifts.
- Work under a variety or extremes of temperature and weather, both inside and outdoors.
- Work overtime as needed.
- Respond to after-hours emergencies as needed.
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive work and learning environment.
- High school diploma, or equivalent GED.
- Proficient knowledge of cleaning equipment and agents as demonstrated by application materials.
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and practices used in cleaning operations.
- Custodial experience in large residential or commercial buildings.
- Knowledge of and experience with the operation, use, and care of vacuum cleaners, floor scrubbing machines, polish machines, and other janitorial equipment.
- Advanced training in custodial and high-volume cleaning operations.
Additional Candidate Instructions
- A cover letter addressing how required qualifications are met.
- 3 Professional References
Application review began Monday, April 18th, 2022, but will continue until a qualified pool of candidates has been identified.