Fellows Program Facilitator - 22439BR
Fellows Program Facilitator
The School of Engineering is currently seeking candidates for the role of Fellows Program Facilitator for the Self Engineering Leadership Fellows Program (SELF). The team consists of the Director and two Program Facilitators. We value collaboration and a supportive, fun environment for students and staff and believe there are many different leadership styles! To achieve this, we seek out Facilitator candidates with diverse experiences and backgrounds, including engineering, STEM, business, higher education, sports and high-performance psychology, and other fields where leadership concepts are applied.
The team plans and implements a wide array of programming for the 120 Fellows in the program. As a co-curricular program, we have the opportunity to explore new methods for inspiring and developing future leaders, including gamification of learning, hands-on practice of leadership skills, and exciting opportunities to develop project management skills through opportunities through engagement with program partners.
This position regularly interacts with the Junior and Senior SELF Fellows and supports the entire Fellowship at key events throughout the year. Responsibilities include: facilitating a weekly seminar course during the semester, providing mentoring, and creating and executing educational projects designed to develop students into future business and industry leaders. Facilitators oversee the Fellow-led Project Teams in major SELF Program activities, ensuring that scope is appropriate, formal project management tools (for example, charter, budget, and project schedule) are applied at a basic level, and key deliverables are identified and achieved.
SELF is a four-year co-curricular program that provides passionate and highly motivated engineering and computer science undergraduates the chance to challenge themselves as they develop on their leadership journeys. More information about the SELF Program can be found here: http://engr.ku.edu/self/.
KU offers excellent employee benefits: up to 176 hours of paid vacation earned per year, 96 hours of sick leave earned per year, nine paid holidays plus one discretionary day, a retirement program, medical & dental insurance options, life and disability insurance, other benefit plan options. In addition, various vendors offer discounts to State of Kansas employees. KU also offers employees educational and professional development opportunities. KU is a great place to work!
This position is a full-time regular appointment located at the Lawrence, KS campus. Some travel and occasional weekend/evening work will be required as the needs of the position demands.
50% - Student Development
- Develop an experiential and applied curriculum, write lesson plans, and teach leadership development courses for the third-year and fourth-year cohorts. Cohorts generally meet separately at 7:00 am once per week throughout the fall and spring semesters.
- Develop co-curricular opportunities rooted in basic fundamental engineering project management principles to support the development of relevant and readily applicable leadership, communication, business, and management skills of Fellows.
- Engage students one-on-one to provide mentoring of SELF Fellows. Official Academic Advising is not within the scope of SELF Mentoring.
40% - Administrative
- Participate in the development of and sustain/support the SELF Program by working autonomously on projects and in collaboration with other SELF Program staff. Examples of projects include: facilitating and planning industry site visits, planning, implementing, and evaluating relevant and timely workshops and retreats, identifying and engaging guest speakers, and more.
- Seek opportunities to identify and incorporate current and future trends in leadership education and practice into the SELF Program, especially regarding technology-based corporations.
- Support proposal, selection, and planning phases of the annual SELF on the Road trip and the High School Design event in collaboration with the other SELF Facilitator and SELF Director.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date Fellow records, including a record of mentor meetings through an internal tracking program.
- Work with SELF Staff to implement and evaluate the annual review processes for Fellows with a specific focus on the fellows in their first and second year of the Fellowship.
10% - Other
- Develop recruitment materials with the Program Director and Recruitment team.
- Support the maintenance of SELF online presence, including website and social media.
- Recruit at relevant STEM outreach events in partnership with the Recruitment team.
- Assist as necessary with School of Engineering events, such as New Student Orientation, Scholar Day, and Open House, plus major programs such as recruitment events, student trips, student retreats, etc., likely to require working some evenings and weekends.
- Other relevant duties, projects, and responsibilities as assigned by the SELF Program Director or Assistant Dean.
- Some travel may be required.
- Bachelor’s plus three years related experience in relevant area; or Master’s degree.
- Excellent written communication skills and organizational skills as evidenced by application materials and interview.
- One year of experience with basic computer systems and working knowledge of software applications and programs including, but not limited to, the following: Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- Master's degree in related field.
- One year of professional experience in one of the following areas: engineering, corporate recruiting, developing and presenting leadership or entrepreneurship programs, career development or business relations, or relevant area.
- Three year's experience in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM), or related field.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work effectively, both collaboratively and independently, as evidenced by application materials.
- Demonstrated ability to work with college students.
Additional Candidate Instructions
Review begins on June 28th and is ongoing until all position is filled.