Financial Analyst Senior/ Assistant Director - 10704BR
Financial Analyst Senior/ Assistant Director
- Coordinates with department on both the Lawrence and KUMC campuses with financing options for capital projects which may include bond or other debt financing, KUEA funding or other sources. Incumbent must have knowledge of revenues available for the financing, tax exempt bond requirements, KUEA financing options, and other university or Board of Regents financial policies and procedures.
- Prepares financial projections or modeling for projects as needed,
- Reviews/monitors cash advances from KUEA for constructions projects,
- Tracks status of fund raising for privately funded projects,
- Tracks status of capital projects through completion,
- Participates in the planning stages of construction to be financed with debt,
- Reviews information presented in draft bond documents,
- Reviews draft bond documents for continuing disclosure and tax compliance obligations,
- Performs an annual review of the use of bond proceeds and bond financed property for compliance with bond covenants and recommends action if necessary,
- Maintains documentation and compliance files required by the IRS,
- Reviews debt service coverage for auxiliaries and overall University bond debt ratios to assure compliance with capital financing policy,
- Works with other university units to ensure that bond proceeds are spent in a timely fashion in accordance with bond requirements, and
- Ensures that project owners are aware of ongoing bond requirements.
Financial Planning (25%)
- Reports on the five strategic ratios and the Comprehensive Financial Index (CFI) as outlined in “Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education” as well as the three ratios identified and defined in the Kansas Board of Regents Policy and the University Capital Financing Policy ,
- Develops scenarios to reflect the impact of potential capital improvements and/or strategic decisions on the financial position of the University using a modeling/forecasting tool,
- Documents progress of capital improvement projects,
- Serves on the Capital Planning Advisory Board, and
- Drafts agendas and minutes for the Capital Financing Committee.
Maintains a general knowledge of sales tax, unrelated business income taxes, payroll taxes, bond tax requirements, etc. and works with the University Tax Analyst as needed.
For the IRS Form 990 prepared by affiliated corporations,
- Reviews compensation information for certain university personnel on the boards of all controlled affiliated corporations,
- Reviews tax exempt bond information to ensure accurate reporting, and
- Reviews those affiliates to be reported as related organizations to ensure all controlled affiliates report consistently.
Other Financial Reporting, Staff Supervision and Other Duties (20%)
- Reviews the University Consolidated Annual Financial Report before publication,
- Reviews the University of Kansas Medical Center Annual Financial Report,
- Reviews affiliated corporations’ Annual Financial Reports as needed,
- Reviews current year and multiyear financial and statistical projections for University Aviation Services including projections to support proposed changes to charge back rates, and monitors compliance with budget constraints,
- Reviews sections of the State Annual Budget Requests that relate to bond transactions for the Lawrence and KUMC Campuses,
- Supervises the office support staff,
- Represents the Chief Financial Officer at meetings or attends meeting in a support function when directed,
- Prepares Compliance Data Reporting for the Business & Financial Planning Office and Aviation, and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college in business administration, finance, accounting, or other academic area related to the responsibilities of the position
- Minimum 25 credit hours of accounting coursework. (Transcript required)
- Five years’ experience in accounting and/or business management
- Experience with microcomputers and their applications including Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook; intermediate to advanced proficiency in Excel spreadsheet software skills to quantify and illustrate routine financial reports, comparisons, impacts, and/or projections
- Previous experience working independently as evidenced from application materials.
- Effective written communication skills as evidenced through application materials.
- CPA Certificate
- Advanced degree
- Excellent oral communication skills; strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of University accounting and budgeting systems
- Related fiscal management experience in a large university
- Some level of experience with large scale capital financing projects and long-range financial planning
Additional Candidate Instructions
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Review of applications begins on 1/22/2018 and will continue until a qualified group of candidates has been identified.