General Ledger Accountant - 21461BR
General Ledger Accountant
accurate and timely results.
Monitor accounting transactions to ensure compliance with University policies and procedures as well as State of Kansas statutes and regulations. Format and submit various journal entries requested by University staff and administration. Ensure journals are posted to the appropriate general ledger.
Provide technical review of journal request changes (JRC) submitted by departments and University Shared Service Center (SSC) staff.
Create and submit journal spreadsheet uploads of approved journal submissions. Communicate status of failed journal submissions to appropriate individuals. Review activity posted to intercompany accounts. Create and post journals to offset/clear intercompany balances and record cash correctly to the general ledger.
25% Pay Cycles and Payable Functions
Execute the accounts payable daily pay cycle process that generates payments through various payment methods and banks. Works closely with University of Kansas and affiliate staff to coordinate timing and sequence of daily processing. Reviews reports and verifies completeness of accounting transactions created and posted to general ledgers, and identifies errors and rejected transactions. Communicates issues and corrective actions to appropriate individuals. Ensure transactions recorded in University financial system are properly reflected in the State of Kansas financial system, SMART. Prepares and posts correcting journals in the SMART system and notifies the Department of Administration, at the State of Kansas, of changes to ensure compliance. Processes payment cancellations, void requests and printing of checks as needed from designated bank accounts.
Tracks and processes transfer of funds for international bank wires, ACH and records transfers using the proprietary banking systems. Complete interfund transfers between the University of Kansas and the State of Kansas departments.
20% - Reconciliations
Prepare account reconciliations of the general ledger adhering to provided schedule. Reconciliation reports are provided to manager for review and approval adhering to scheduled due dates. Run appropriate reports to verify ending account balances and any discrepancies and variances are identified and a resolution is determined should supporting documentation and tracking not match general ledger balances. Issues are communicated to appropriate University staff.
15% - Administrative and Other Functions
The employee is expected to perform the following assignments in addition to major job duties:
- Perform backup job duties in the absence of staff as designated by management
- Complete miscellaneous projects and analysis
- Engage in financial system testing as required
- Assist with fiscal year end processes and procedures
- Interpret, follow and comply with Federal, State, Industry laws and regulations as well as
- University policy and procedures
- Provide excellent customer service both written and verbal
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in a related field and (1) year of related experience OR an Associate's degree and three (3) years of related experience.
- Two (2) years of experience with financial procedures including the analysis, detection, and reconciliation of financial records.
- As evidenced in application materials:Minimum of one (1) year of experience using an automated accounting and financial report system.
- As evidenced in application materials: Minimum of one (1) year of experience using MS Excel.
- As evidenced in application materials: Proficient/high level user of MS Excel and database management including creating/development use of formulas, pivot tables, data manipulation and charts.
- As evidenced in application materials: Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- As evidenced in application materials: demonstrated or analytical applications and skills.
- Higher Education and Fund Accounting experience.
- As evidenced in application materials: Customer service experience.
Additional Candidate Instructions
- A cover letter addressing how required qualifications are met
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- 3 Professional References
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Application review has been extended to April 1st and will remain open until a qualified pool of candidates has been identified.